Dogs flee house fire in North Shore

editorial image
Share this article

A man returned home to find his bedroom on fire earlier.

Firefighters were called to Chelsea Avenue in North Shore at around 1.10pm.

They used breathing masks and a jet to put the blaze out, though the house suffered smoke damage, crew manager Mark Preddy said.

Two dogs escaped the fire, which is thought to have started accidentally, unharmed.

Mr Preddy said the resident had arrived home to find his pets barking at the front door, and the smoke alarm going off.

He reminded readers they can call 0800 169 1125 for a free home fire safety check.