Doctors cannot believe Rob Sycamore is alive after freak accident at Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Rob Sycamore being fitted for a wheelchair after being paralysed in a freak accident at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Rob Sycamore being fitted for a wheelchair after being paralysed in a freak accident at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
0
Have your say

The family of a man left paralysed after a freak accident on a roller coaster at Blackpool Pleasure Beach say they are still waiting for answers almost nine months later.

Rob Sycamore broke his neck in three places while he was riding on the Grand National with his great-nephew during a family day out in the resort last year.

Rob Sycamore will never walk again after being paralysed in a freak accident at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Rob Sycamore will never walk again after being paralysed in a freak accident at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

His family say he is lucky to be alive but his wife now faces having to sell their home to pay for him to spend the rest of his life in a nursing home.

To make matters worse, nephew Darren Parlour said they are unable to get closure while an investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Mr Parlour, who lives in Norwich, said: “We went to Blackpool to celebrate his wife getting over cancer and how she has lost her husband.

“He’s living two counties away and she’s having to sell her house.”

Due to his condition, Mr Sycamore can only be moved around 100 miles at a time and has slowly made his way back South since being taken off life support in Preston, where he spent two months after the accident on October 24.

Doctors have told My Sycamore he will be paralysed from the neck down for the rest of his life.

Mr Parlour added: “He can talk but his head is now permanently fixed to his body and he is unable to move his mouth too much.

“He’s not happy about having to spend the rest of his life in a nursing home.”

The family have spoken of the accident since but Mr Sycamore remembers very little.

“He remembers his head snapped forward and as he went back up his head snapped back,” his nephew said.

“For the rest of the ride his head was just rolling around.

“None of the consultants can even believe he was alive – it’s a medical curiosity.”

An investigation has since been launched by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Mr Parlour said he is still waiting for the result of the inquiry, adding: “I gave my evidence to the HSE back in January.

The Pleasure Beach declined to comment on the investigation, but referred The Gazette to its previous statement.

A spokesman said: “Our enquiries have not revealed any faults or problems with the ride which carried almost 500,000 guests in 2014 without incident.

“We do now understand that Mr Sycamore had an underlying back condition.”

Mr Sycamore has spondylitis, an inflammation of the vertebrae in the back, but his family said there was no reason to believe he could not go on the ride.

The HSE said it could not comment while the investigation is ongoing.