Demolition will reduce blocks to pile of debris

The three blocks due to be demolished
The three blocks due to be demolished
0
Have your say

Three Blackpool towerblocks which have dominated the skyline for decades are to be reduced to rubble in an explosion.

The blocks and associated maisonettes are at thesouth of Stirling Road and will be demolished during the second phase of the Queens Park estate redevelopment.

Coun Gillian Campbell

Coun Gillian Campbell

The explosions will take place on a Sunday at a date to be arranged and nearby residents will have to leave their homes while the demolition takes place.

The first phase of work on Queens Park was completed last year and involved the demolition of Ashworth Court and Charles Court and the building of 92 new homes.

The latest work, undertaken by redevelopment specialists Lovell, will see 99 further homes built by Spring 2018.

Coun Gillian Campbell, deputy leader of Blackpool Council, said: “The first phase of the Queens Park redevelopment has dramatically changed the area but the old buildings are still an eyesore and are standing in the way of a completely transformed estate.

The first phase of the Queens Park redevelopment has dramatically changed the area but the old buildings are still an eyesore and are standing in the way of a completely transformed estate

“The tower blocks have been a familiar sight on Blackpool skyline for so many years that it will feel very strange once they have gone.

“As the plans progress we will keep local residents and businesses updated on the exclusion zone and make sure that everyone is fully informed ahead of the demolition.”

Lovell project manager Peter Lewis said: “Following the successful completion of the first phase of redevelopment work at Queens Park, phase two is now under way.

“We’re excited to be working on the next stage of this major scheme which is transforming the neighbourhood and creating modern, high-quality homes for local people.

“Public safety and security are, of course, our top priority as the demolition work goes ahead.

“We aim to minimise the number of residents affected and will be communicating with them and keeping them fully informed throughout.

“I’d also like to thank residents and local businesses for the patience, understanding and support which they have shown our team during the redevelopment work.”

Lovell has appointed specialist contractor Forshaw Demolition to carry out the demolition programme.

The demolition is likely to take place on a Sunday to minimise disruption and some residents will need to leave their properties while this happens.

Further information will be available in the coming months and all affected businesses and residents will receive a visit from the demolition team.