Death of man, 45, ‘not suspicious’

Share this article
Have your say

POLICE investigating the sudden death of a man in St Annes say they are not treating the incident as suspicious.

Officers were called to Clarendon Road North at around 5.20am yesterday after ambulance crews received a 999 call that a man was “unconscious, unwell or injured” at the address.

The scene outside a house on Clarendon Road North in St Annes

The scene outside a house on Clarendon Road North in St Annes

The casualty died a short time later and detectives were called in.

Police sealed off the area and began a investigation into the cause of the man’s death.

As a result they have now confirmed they do not believe foul play was involved and they are treating the 45-year-old’s death as “unexplained” at this time.

Officers believe the man may have sustained injuries during a fall but are awaiting the outcome of a post mortem examination to ascertain a true cause of death.

Following the drama, neighbours spoke of their shock at a police investigation going on on their doorstep.

One nearby resident, who did not wish to be named, said they had heard noises during the night but assumed it was a disturbance in the street.

She added: “My husband heard banging in the night but we thought it was cones being kicked down in the road.

“The people at the house keep themselves to themselves.

“We just woke up to see police cars in the road and assumed there had been a burglary.”

A spokesman for the North West Ambulance service confirmed paramedics left the scene at around 6am and police were now investigating the circumstances around the death.

A Blackpool Police spokesman said officers remained at the scene throughout yesterday conducting inquiries but a post mortem still had to be done to ascertain an “exact” cause of death.

She added: “We do not believe there are any suspicious circumstances at this stage.

“A post mortem examination will be carried out in the coming days to establish an exact cause of death.

“The man has been formally identified but we are still in the process of informing next of kin.”