Death knell set to sound for station

Lytham Police Station.
Lytham Police Station.
Share this article
Have your say

The death knell is finally set to sound for a former police station after plans were lodged to turn the building into a flower shop.

Plans have been submitted with Fylde Council by Rossendale-based Ecotect Engineering to revamp the former Lytham Police Station in Clifton Street.

Mark Bamforth

Mark Bamforth

Residents were outraged when the station shut its doors in 2012 – closing despite a series of high profile crimes in the town.

Lytham Coun Mark Bamforth called the plans “the final nail in the coffin” for the former cop shop.

Coun Bamforth added: “It is sad. It was always reassuring to have the station on the high street.

“Lytham has gone and St Annes has gone part-time. At the end of the day the cutbacks are nationwide.”

The station was one of 14 police front counters closed across the county.

It was part of a bid by Lancashire Police to save £43m by this year, despite a concerted bid by campaigners in the town to keep the station open.

Police remained at Lytham following the closure, but the public could no longer make enquiries.

The station closed completely last year.

Coun Bamforth said he hoped officers would one day be able to return to south Fylde – at a joint emergency services base.

He added: “The police will be pleased it has been sold. But we have no officers based here now – just community support officers in Lytham.

“We managed to persuade the officers to use Lytham Fire Station – at least they have somewhere to go.

“I would like to see the fire service, ambulance and police based on one site to pool resources.”

Jewellery raids, robberies and bank thieves – town’s crime past

In September 2011 three men smashed into the former Leonard Dews jewellery shop, raiding display cabinets and making off with thousands of pounds worth of diamonds and watches.

In March 2013 two guards were making a cash delivery at the Santander bank in Clifton Street in Lytham.

Two masked men wielding a crow bar and a machete threatened the guards and forced them to hand over more than £19,000.

Six months later three men wearing high-visibility vests and balaclavas raided the bank again as two G4S security guards were filling a cash machine.

The men used sledgehammers and axes to smash the glass in the front door and force their way into the branch, taking an undisclosed amount of cash.