‘Wrong conclusion’ led to vicious attack

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Have your say

A man was subjected to a violent attack in his own home by a friend who had “jumped to completely the wrong conclusion”.

Clive Marshall was kicked and punched by Steven Goldman at his address on Argosy Court, Grange Park.

A neighbour tried to intervene to stop the “onslaught”, but a bathroom door was shut on him and the assault continued.

Mr Marshall, who believed he lost consciousness during the episode, suffered severely bruised ribs and bruising and abrasions to his face and head.

Goldman, 45, of Hatfield Avenue, Fleetwood was given a suspended prison sentence when he appeared at Preston Crown Court yesterday.

He had pleaded guilty to offences of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage. On May 24 this year, Goldman and his teenage daughter, visiting from the south of England, were planning to stay at the address of a friend of the defendant, who lived on Argosy Court.

Roger Baldwin, prosecuting, said Goldman went for a drink at a nearby flat. Mr Marshall may have been there. Later, back at his flat, the friend was woken by Goldman who said his daughter was no longer there. The defendant rushed out of the flat and went to Mr Marshall’s home.

Goldman was seen kicking at the front door, six or seven times. This resulted in glass smashing in the door and the letterbox being damaged.

When Mr Marshall opened the front door he was immediately attacked by Goldman. about his daughter being missing.

Paul Robinson, defending, said it was accepted that a sustained attack had taken place in Mr Marshall’s home where he should have felt safe.

It turned out his daughter had returned to Fleetwood at the time, but there was no real rhyme or reason for the assault taking place, apart from the effects of alcohol.

“The defendant had suspected his daughter might have been at Mr Marshall’s address”, said Mr Robinson. “He didn’t even stop to think or ask.

“It would have been more sensible to ask his friend calmly if his daughter was there. He jumped to completely the wrong conclusion and assaulted him”.

Goldman was given six months prison, suspended for two years, with two years supervision.

The judge, Recorder Nicholas Clarke QC, told him he deserved to go to jail, but he was satisfied that a suspended sentence order was appropriate.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.