Woman saved by ‘soft trainers’

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Share this article
Have your say

A woman was repeatedly stamped in the face by her thug ex-partner in a violent row.

Brian Selby stamped on and kicked the woman in the head during the terrifying attack at her home.

She escaped with scratches and bruising, but a judge said her injuries could have been far more serious if the defendant had been wearing more solid footwear.

Selby, 39, went on to be found at a train station and arrested.

He has now been given a suspended sentence order by a judge at Preston Crown court.

Selby had pleaded guilty to charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.

Hanifa Patel, prosecuting, said the victim had fallen asleep on her living room sofa in Knott End when she heard the door banging open on August 16 last year.

Selby then “booted” a flat screen TV off its stand. She tried to run out of the room, but he dragged her to the floor and was said to have stamped on her head three times, striking her forehead with his trainer.

Selby was also described as standing on her shoulder while she was on her back, pulling her hair and also kicking her to the head.

At one stage she managed to get to the bathroom and could hear Selby ripping her coat outside.

She left the bathroom to try to stop him doing any more damage, only to be assaulted again, said Miss Patel.

The defendant pushed her to the ground, stamped on her and kicked her again. He was found at a train station and arrested.

Bob Elias, defending, said his client had no previous convictions for domestic violence.

He said: “This was an unfortunate episode, to do with feelings of rejection. He wanted to see his child.”

Judge Andrew Woolman told him: “This was serious violence. Fortunately, she wasn’t seriously injured.

“Your shoes were soft enough not to do any particular damage.

“You were wearing trainers, anything more solid might have seen more serious injury”.

Selby, of Stoneyhurst Road, Blackburn was given nine months prison, suspended for two years, with two years supervision which will include a domestic violence programme.

He was also made the subject of a restraining order not to contact the woman in the case or go to Knott End.