Vodka thug sent to prison

Gary Aspinall has been jailed for 18 months
Gary Aspinall has been jailed for 18 months
Have your say

A man who drank half a bottle of vodka and went on to commit a series of crimes on one night has been locked up.

Gary Aspinall punched an ex-partner in the face, burgled a home, got a taxi from the scene of that crime without paying the fare and caused damage at his parents’ home.

Aspinall, 42, has now been jailed for 18 months by a judge at Preston Crown Court.

He had pleaded guilty to offences of criminal damage, common assault, assaulting a police officer, burglary and theft.

All of the offences were carried out on the same night – November 9.

Joseph Allman, prosecuting, said Aspinall, of Hartford Avenue, Marton, had taken out his two children from a relationship with an ex -partner.

They and the woman later had a family meal, cooked by Aspinall and got on well.

However, his mood changed. He became argumentative and was shouting.

Aspinall told her: “I want to smash your face in,” and punched her once in the mouth.

The woman fell to the floor, bleeding from the mouth.

The defendant left the address, but went on to burgle the home of a 74-year-old woman on Babbacombe Avenue, South Shore.

The victim was the mother of one of his friends.

She had gone downstairs at around 3am after hearing something moving.

Aspinall appeared in the hallway and she recognised him as a friend of her son.

A conversation took place with him claiming he had let himself in through the front door and was waiting for the son to come home.

It turned out that a glass panel had been damaged in the back door.

Mr Allman told the court: “The back room was in a mess. A TV was hanging off the wall. The defendant claimed the room was like that when he arrived.”

The woman went on to tell him to leave. Aspinall asked: “Shall I just have a cigarette outside?”

A taxi was called for him and he left. After he had gone, it was discovered that a pie and can of beer had gone from the fridge. A camera had been taken from the back room.

He went to his parents’ home nearby but failed to pay the £6.30 fare.

His mum told him the police wanted to speak to him about the assault on his ex-partner.

Aspinall went on to pull drain piping away outside and used it to smash the living room window.

While being arrested and put into a police vehicle, he trapped a constable’s hand between the cage and wall of the vehicle.

Chris Hudson, defending, said drinking too much was an Achilles heel for Aspinall.

Drinking half a bottle of vodka that night had been the catalyst for the offence.

Mr Hudson said: “He lost his sense and sensibility. Normally he is an affable and sensible man, but once he has taken alcohol those characteristics are reversed.

“He has a terrible affliction.

“He was out of his senses that night.”

A five-year restraining order was made barring him from having any sort of contact with the former partner.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.