A takeaway’s hygiene standards was so poor that vegetables were stored in the toilet
An inspection by council staff revealed a bag of onions being stored in an open toilet area, meat was defrosting in a washing sink and cooked and raw meats and seafood stored next to each other.
The owner Loo Chong Chen, 37, of Asian Bagus of Mowbray Drive, Layton, admitted eight Food Safety and Hygiene Act offences and two offences of failing to keep proper records.
Blackpool Council prosecutor Lynda Bennett told the town’s magistrates that the takeaway had been the subject of previous investigation - after a woman customer complained that her meal was badly undercooked.
She said: “In November last year a second inspection took place after further public complaints about toys in the public area and a report of a person being served re-heated food.Cleaning is a basic requirement expected by the public.
“Bacteria can lead to illness and even death.That basic requirement was not being met by this man.”
Cheng had been the food business operator at the outlet since 2013 said the prosecutor who said the premises were greasy and badly maintained.
Food containers were cracked and dirty and cleaning gloves were found resting on a tub of mushrooms.
The prosecutor said:”There was a concern for cross contamination and records were not kept up to date.
Cheng who had proceedings related to him via a Mandarin speaking interpreter said: ”I have done everything the council has asked me to do.
“There were language problems and the council people would not listen to my daughter.”
Magistrates adjourned sentence so that Cheng can produce copies of his annual accounts.