UPDATED: Driver 'missing and three badly hurt' in Blackpool crash

Three people have been seriously hurt in a two car crash in Garstang Road, Blackpool, emergency service officials said.

Thursday, 30th August 2018, 12:19 am
Updated Thursday, 30th August 2018, 6:16 pm
The wreckage of the car (Picture: Lancashire Road Police)

The accident happened earlier this evening - and police said the driver and passenger from one of the cars involved fled the scene.

The force helicopter, based at Barton, could be heard overhead searching for the motorist, who may have also been injured.

Read More

Read More
Hunt for men who fled car crash that badly injured three women

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The wreckage of the car (Picture: Lancashire Road Police)

A spokesman for Lancashire's Road Policing Unit said the crash involved a BMW M4, which was pictured badly damaged - even missing a wheel - on a grass verge.

They said: "Somebody knows who the driver was and where they are. If you have a conscience, call us."

Pat Thompson, white watch manager at Blackpool's Forest Gate fire station, said the crash also involved a hatchback.

Firefighters cut the roof off the Skoda to free two women in their 50s (Picture: Rachel Atkinson)

A picture shared on social media said to have been taken at the scene showed the light-coloured car, which police later said was a Skoda Citigo, with its roof off.

Two fire engines and crews were called out at 8.15pm to help a female passenger, 25, from the BMW, and to free two women, aged 57 from Poulton and 55 from Blackpool, who were trapped in the Skoda.

The BMW passenger was taken to Royal Preston Hospital with a leg injury, with the pair from the Skoda taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital, each suffering from a broken wrist.

The crash happened just past the PlayFootball five-a-side sports complex, Mr Thompson said.

"We had to cut the [Skoda] car to release the two casualties and we also treated the other lady while we were there as well," he said.

Garstang Road links Grange Park and Layton to Poulton and has a short stretch of 40mph road. It was closed for more than six hours following the crash, with Blackpool Transport saying its 2C and 6 bus services were temporarily unavailable to get to Grange Park as a result.

A spokesman for Lancashire Police said officers were called out at 8.04pm, while the National Police Air Service said its helicopter was called to conduct a "concern for welfare search" at 10.20pm.

Paramedics were also called at 8.04pm, with three ambulances sent, though the first did not arrive until 8.50pm, 46 minutes later, an ambulance service spokeswoman said.

A spokesman for the North West Motorway Policing team urged the driver to "do the right thing" before officers "come knocking on your door".

Sgt Oliver Jones from Lancashire Police said: "We are currently looking for two men who made off from the scene.

"If you have any information, or know where they are, please contact us immediately.

"Furthermore, if you saw the collision and have yet to speak to police, please call."

Information on the driver's whereabouts can be reported by calling 101, quoting log number 1331 of Wednesday, August 29, 2018.