Thug punched man as he lay on pavement

Bartlomiej Ordowicz, 28, was jailed for 12 months for attacking a man in the street.
Bartlomiej Ordowicz, 28, was jailed for 12 months for attacking a man in the street.
Share this article
  • Victim had already been assaulted when he was punched repeatedly in the head
  • He suffered a broken eye socket in the attack
  • One of the attackers was jailed for 12 months by the judge who labelled the attack “outrageous”
Have your say

A Polish migrant who broke a young man’s eye socket, by repeatedly punching his victim as he lay on the ground, has been jailed for 12 months by a judge who called it an “outrageous assault”.

A court heard that victim was left without the confidence to continue playing the sport he loved – having been involved in ice hockey since the age of 15.

It is the sort of behaviour which is all too common in the streets of this region.

Judge Stuart Baker

He had already been assaulted by a man on Dickson Road, when Bartlomiej Ordowicz repeatedly 
punched him to the head.

Ordowicz, 28, of Holmfield Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Another man, Piotr Grabowski, 25, of Park Road, Blackpool, who was first to assault the man, was ordered to do 200 hours’ unpaid work and pay him £750 compensation.

Judge Stuart Baker said: “This case is an example of disorderly behaviour in the public streets at night time, committed by men who were, to a greater or lesser extent, affected by drink.

“It is the sort of behaviour which is all too common in the streets of this region.”

Preston Crown Court heard that, at about 1am on July 7, 2013, the two defendants were part of a group of young Polish men that were going to Bella Pizza to get something to eat after having been drinking.

The group were described as being loud and drunk.

Julian Taylor, prosecuting, said that, after leaving the takeaway, they happened to pass three other young men who had also been drinking. One of them was the victim.

Mr Taylor told the court “The two groups passed. Something may have been said. Ordowicz took objection and went over to confront them. Somebody else pulled him away.

“That seemed to be the end of it, but when they passed, (the victim) and his friends were laughing. Ordowicz turned round and went back with Grabowski.

“The two defendants then set about (the victim), punching him several times. He fell to the ground.

“Ordowicz then knelt down and hit him a number of times while he was on the ground.

“(The victim) was unconscious and had extensive bruising to his face.”

In a victim statement, the injured man spoke of his social life taking a massive drop as a result of the attack. He can also no longer play ice hockey.

He added: “I wish I had the confidence to continue with my ice hockey, but at this time I can’t.”

The court was told he still suffers from double vision if looking towards the same side that he was injured.

“I hope in time I get my old self back and the confidence to go out with my friends again,” he also stated.

Neither of the defendants had any previous convictions in this country or back in Poland.

Dominic Bell, defending Grabowski, said he had punched the victim two or three times, causing a nose bleed and bloodshot eye.

Mr Bell added: “He got up and left the scene. That’s when the co-defendant weighed in.

“My client’s involvement was all over within the blink of an eye.

“We don’t allege that (the victim) did anything which caused him to be assaulted. Something was said, something which was misconceived”.

Robin Kitching, for Ordowicz, said he expressed remorse for what had happened.

“This matter has been hanging over him for some time.

“He has not been sleeping and wants to know his fate.

“This was an isolated incident.

“It is now 19 months since the offence took place”.