Thug called 999 to shop himself

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Have your say

A THUG who threatened his neighbour with a hammer and knife shopped himself to the police by telling them: “Come and arrest me, I want to smash someone’s head”.

Preston Crown Court heard how the victim feared for his life when Matthew Sharples appeared at his door clutching the weapons.

The victim pretended to call the police to try to get rid of him but it was actually Sharples himself who made a 999 call to say “come and arrest me, I want to smash someone’s head with a hammer”.

The incident flared up at the address on Horsebridge Road, Grange Park, after the defendant was heard banging and shouting and a man – the victim – in the flat below shouted for him to shut up.

The 38-year-old admitted offences of affray, having an offensive weapon, having a bladed article and a bail offence.

The offences dated back to August 2011.

Robert Smith, prosecuting, said after the man shouted for the defendant to “shut up”, Sharples knocked at his neighbour’s door and said: “Who are you telling to shut up?”

He was seen holding a knife in one hand and a hammer in the other.

Sharples held them in front of him and said: “Don’t tell me to shut up”.

He threatened to hit the victim with the hammer and stab him.

Sharples lunged towards the door which the other man quickly shut.

Mr Smith said the victim feared for his life and pretended he was calling the police to warn him off.

But Sharples ended up calling the police. When an officer arrived and took hold of him, Sharples threatened to bite his ear off.

Waheed Omran-Baber, defending, told the court: “He accepts full responsibility for his actions, without any limitations and without trying to minimise his actions or shift blame in any way, shape or form.

“He offers full remorse for his actions.

“The evil in his life is alcohol misuse.

“Alcohol was the evil on this occasion.”

The barrister said there was no physical contact between the men.

Since then, the defendant had received a “wake-up call” which had made him think about his situation.

Sharples was given a sentence of 12 months’ prison, suspended for a year.

He was also told he must undergo 12 months supervision, including alcohol treatment and a requirement to live at his mother’s address on Ryburn Avenue, South Shore.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.