These are the latest cases and convictions from Blackpool Magistrates' Court - Thursday, March 12, 2020

Here is the latest round-up of cases from Blackpool Magistrates' Court.

Thursday, 12th March 2020, 11:45 am
Updated Thursday, 12th March 2020, 12:01 pm

Gary Clark, 56, failing to comply with Sex Offenders’ Registration rules

A convicted paedophile who repeatedly broke Sex Offenders’ Registration rules has escaped being sent to prison.

Gary Clark was put on the Sex Offenders’ Register (SOR) for life after an offence of sexual activity with a girl under 16 but had now breached SOR regulations eight times.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates' Court
Blackpool Magistrates' Court

At the time he committed his latest breach he was on a 12 week prison sentence, suspended for 18 months for the same offence of breaking the rules.

Clark, 56, formerly of no fixed address, who told the court he now lived at St Heliers Road, South Shore, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a condition of his SOR between January 3 and 9.

He had six months added to the time his 12 weeks imprisonment was suspended for – making it suspended for 24 months in total – by Blackpool magistrates.

He was also sentenced to a 12 week curfew from 7pm to 6am and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £90 victims’ surcharge.

Magistrates said they were not implementing Clark’s suspended sentence as he was co-operating with the probation service and he now had a permanent address.

Prosecutor, Tracy Yates, said in 2007 Clark was convicted of sexual activity with a girl under 16 for which he was jailed and put on the SOR for life.

Clark was required to sign on weekly with the police while he was of no fixed address. He signed on for three weeks with Blackpool police then stopped. When police found him in Blackpool he said he had forgotten to sign on.

Peter Manning, defending, said his client did not accept he had deliberately failed to comply with the rules.

Mr Manning said: “It was a mistake. He was living a chaotic life on the streets at the time trying to survive. He now has a stable address.”

From September last year to February this year, Clark had been homeless. When he had missed signing on the police had contacted him within a week.

Oliver Wilkinson,27, drink-driving

A sales manager who was over the alcohol limit crashed his friend’s car into a concrete barrier which separated the road from the tram tracks.

Oliver Wilkinson, 27, of Kendal Avenue, Cleveleys, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was banned from the road for 15 months, fined £423 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £42 victims’ surcharges. Prosecutor, Tracy Yates, said police went to Kendal Avenue after a Citroen had crashed into a concrete barrier, on February 1,at about 10.30pm.

Inquiries eventually led to Wilkinson admitting he had been the driver and he told an officer: “I have had half-a-bottle of Captain Morgan.”

He admitted driving his friend’s car when they went for some more alcohol and food at a shop. Wilkinson said he had taken a corner too fast then panicked and left the accident scene with the friend.

Peter Manning, defending, said his client, who had no previous convictions, had entered a prompt guilty plea.. Mr Manning added that that night Wilkinson had made “a bad and irresponsible decision” to drive a car after drinking. Fortunately no-one was injured.

Nikita Holliday, 33,drink-driving

A businesswoman was more than twice over the alcohol limit after drinking tequila flavoured beer.

Nikita Holliday, 33, of Fleetwood Road North, Thornton, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.She was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on an eight weeks curfew and banned from driving for 36 months.

Prosecutor, Tracy Yates, said police saw Holliday in a Peugeot which swerved around a parked car and drifted towards the kerb, on February 21, at 12.45am.

When stopped she said she had had “a swig of Desperados” previously.

A breath test showed 88 microgrammes of alcohol in her body - 35 is the limit.

She had a similar conviction in 2016.

Peter Manning, defending, said his client admitted she had driven about half-a-mile but she did not accept the description of her driving.

Holliday had run her own meals-on-wheels business which she had given up because she would now not be able to drive,

She had accepted she had some issues with alcohol and had been in touch with alcohol rehabilitation specialists.