Terror led to jump from car

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Have your say

A YOUNG woman who feared her boyfriend would kill them both by crashing his car had to jump out of the vehicle after he became overcome with a jealous rage.

Jaymie Kelshaw, 23, of Fisher Street, Blackpool, became aggressive while driving, threatened to dump his girlfriend in another town and told her “this is it”.

The terrified woman only managed to escape from the Nissan after moving the steering wheel to the nearside, pulling the hand brake up at the same time and jumping out of the vehicle.

She ran on to the roundabout at Amounderness Way in Thornton and caught the attention of an off duty police sergeant, who she told: “He’s trying to kill me”.

Kelshaw then carried out a low speed pursuit of the police officer’s unmarked car for 4.2 miles.

Kelshaw was given eight months’ prison, suspended for two years, with two years’ supervision and 100 hours’ unpaid work.

He was also told to pay £500 prosecution costs after pleading guilty to offences of false imprisonment and dangerous driving.

Jon Close, prosecuting, said the two were in a tempestuous, on-off relationship at the time.

They had gone to the Squirrel pub in Bispham to watch a televised football match on May 19.

But Kelshaw became annoyed and accused her of looking at other men.

At half time they got into his car, the defendant saying he intended going to a nearby shop. She agreed to accompany him, but he became aggressive, saying he was going to drive her to Preston.

The prosecution said he was saying “this is it” and his girlfriend feared he would crash the vehicle.

The defendant ignored her pleas to let her out and he drove for around two-and-a-half miles before she jumped out at the roundabout and got into the back of the police officer’s car.

Mr Close said the victim was “absolutely terrified” and screamed at the officer: “He’s coming. He’s coming to run us off the road.”

The court heard Kelshaw engaged in a number of dangerous manoeuvres, overtaking and anchoring in front of the officer.

A marked police vehicle then blocked Kelshaw’s way after he entered Fleetwood.

Alan Green, defending, said it had been a stormy and tempestuous relationship and on the date of the offences he had suffered “a loss of control”.

Judge Ian Leeming QC told Kelshaw: “This was a sustained and very dangerous piece of driving indeed. If anyone had been injured you would have undoubtedly gone into custody for a considerable period.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.