‘Suicidal’ Carlisle to face drink drive ban

Former footballer Clarke Carlisle
Former footballer Clarke Carlisle
Share this article
Have your say

Former Blackpool footballer Clarke Carlisle has pleaded guilty to a drink-driving 

The 35-year-old, still bearing the facial scars from his December 22 suicide attempt in a crash on the A64 in York which left him in a coma until mid-January, spoke clearly as he stood in the dock at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in north London.

The former Professional Footballers’ Association chairman, who also played for Burnley and Queens Park Rangers, admitted failing to provide a sample on December 20.

Carlisle, who made close to 100 appearances for the Seasiders between 1997 and 2000, also pleaded guilty to a charge of driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence on the same date, when police officers spotted a Mercedes travelling in an “erratic” manner, prosecutor Zahid Hussain said.

Deputy District Judge Margaret Dodds told Carlisle that he would “inevitably” be disqualified when he next 
appears at the same court for sentencing on May 14.

She also ordered that reports be made in the case after being told of Carlisle’s medical situation.

He had been spotted by police “swerving” his Mercedes and nearly hitting a lorry on Pentonville Road, north London, on December 20 at about 7am.

Mr Hussain said the car was seen “swerving in the lane, to the pavement on the nearside, almost mounting the pavement” and that the tyres were “grinding on the kerb”.

When the officers stopped and spoke to Carlisle “alcohol was smelled on his breath”, Mr Hussain added.

The court was told that Carlisle did not blow long enough in the breathalyser when he was tested at the roadside to provide an adequate sample.

He was taken to Islington police station but would not co-operate and said: 
“Sergeant, I would like to speak to my counsel first.”

The court was told that Carlisle had been involved in excess-drinking offences in 1999 and 2011.

Krystelle Wass, defending, told the court: “Two days after the incident Mr Carlisle 
attempted suicide, which is why matters have taken some time to come to court.”

She said there were “ongoing mental health issues”.

The deputy district judge replied that she would order reports ahead of the next hearing as “he is clearly in some trouble”. Carlisle, who was smartly dressed in a grey wool suit, thanked the judge as he was released on unconditional bail.