Stall holder threatened to plaster indecent pics of under-age girl over internet

A market stall holder from Blackpool threatened to plaster indecent images of an under-age teenage girl over the internet after he asked her to send them to him.

Sunday, 8th May 2016, 12:11 pm
Updated Sunday, 8th May 2016, 1:15 pm
Court news

Derby Crown Court was told how Kierron Sumner knew the girl was under the age of consent but “thought he could get away with it” and came to Derbyshire to meet her where they “engaged in sexual activity”.

But when the short-lived relationship ended he then threatened to plaster pictures she had sent to him over social media.

Mary Bray, prosecuting, said the girl, whose identity is protected by law, went to the police after 19-year-old Sumner made the threats to her.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Miss Bray said: “The defendant’s reaction to the relationship ending was to threaten to distribute the images she had sent to him on social media.

“He accepts he had bullied her in that way and that is was disgusting. He said he wanted her to feel as upset as he was.

“In interview with the police he said he knew she was in her early teens and was well aware she was underage but though he would get away with it, in his own words.”

Miss Bray said the offence happened last summer when the victim had gone on a family holiday to the popular seaside resort.

She said: “They met in Blackpool when she was in her early teens and he was 18 and he was working as a market stall trader on a popular local market.

“Something developed and the defendant later travelled to Derbyshire to see her.

“They had been using social media and the defendant received three indecent images of the girl having encouraged her to send them.

“There had also been sexual chat between them online and he admitted that had taken place also.”

Sumner, of Cunliffe Road, Blackpool, was arrested in October and was charged with four counts of sexual activity with a child, all of which he pleaded guilty to.

Guy Mathieson, for Sumner, said his client had no previous convictions and would now “have to suffer the undoubted shame and stigma of being convicted of a sex offence being on him.”

Judge Robert Egbuna handed Sumner an eight-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.

He also ordered the teenager to obey a three month curfew, containing him to his home address between 9pm and 7am every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.