The family of a woman left severely brain damaged after taking a toxic mix of illegal drugs have said they are bracing themselves for the worst.
Stacey Jewell was rushed to Royal Preston Hospital on April 7 after taking a mix of amphetamine, ketamine and heroine-substitute methadone.
I hope this teaches people you’re not invincible and that drugs kill.
The drugs sent her into a fit, during which she choked on her own vomit, starving her brain of oxygen and causing catastrophic brain injuries.
Her devastated mother, Marie Greer, 56, decided to speak out in The Gazette about the dangers of drug use in a bid to warn others of the dangers.
Stacey, 29, a mother-of-one who has been a drug addict for nine years, remains in hospital, no longer in a coma but in what medics describe as a vegetative state.
Today her mother, of Cartmell Avenue, Mereside, has released this new image, explaining that while Stacey’s eyes have opened she is showing no reaction to stimulus.
She said: “There’s no improvement in her brain activity. We know that sometimes people in a vegetative state can only live a few months. I hope this teaches people you’re not invincible and that drugs kill.”
The grandmother, now caring for Stacey’s three-year-old son, said she has been overwhelmed by support, including a charity paying childcare costs to allow the family to visit Stacey each day.
A 39-year-old man and a 42-year-old woman were arrested in relation to the incident on April 7, and later bailed.