TWO teenagers have admitted lying to police about an assault at a fast food outlet.
Ashleigh Luby, 19, told officers she and a two-year-old boy had been attacked by a man at a local KFC restaurant on November 1 last year, and Jessica Heap, 18, said she had witnessed the incident.
The teens told KFC staff about the alleged assault, who refused to serve the man and called in security to detain him before the police arrived.
The man, who was unknown to the girls, ended up in custody for 20 hours until CCTV footage proved his innocence.
Luby, of Maycroft Avenue, Poulton, and Heap, of Bowness Avenue, Thornton, pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice at Preston Crown Court on Thursday.
Prosecuting, Joseph Allman said: “Why they did it, I do not know. There was no violence or force of any sort. If there was any contact, it was of the most trivial glancing kind.”
Mitigating for Luby, Philip Andrews said: “This offence wasn’t born out of any wickedness. It seems there was a very significant over reaction to what had taken place.
“That seems to have snowballed over the course of the hours that followed and regrettably the man arrested eventually remained in custody for some little while before closed circuit television footage revealed the true picture.”
Adjourning the case for sentencing, Judge Andrew Woolman said: “This is a very unusual case. I will have to consider very carefully what to do in the case of both of you.”