Rounders bat attack filmed with webcam

John Porter, 47, was jailed after being caught on film hitting his partner with a rounders bat.
John Porter, 47, was jailed after being caught on film hitting his partner with a rounders bat.
Share this article
Have your say

A violent boyfriend has been jailed after he was secretly filmed by his terrified partner as he attacked her with a rounders bat.

John Porter, 47, was caught on camera bare chested and kicking his victim as she begged him to leave her Blackpool home.

Despite being banned from contacting the woman following the attack in June, Porter, of Ashton Road, Blackpool, later harassed her with phone calls.

He has now been jailed for two years by a judge at Preston Crown Court after pleading guilty to a string of offences, including assault and intimidation.

The court heard the woman set up a webcam in her living room following an 
argument, during which he punched her on the arm 
before leaving.

Peter Barr, prosecuting, said the camera also filmed Porter kicking her.

He said Porter kicked over a coffee table and refused to leave, prompting his victim to reach for a rounders bat that she kept for protection.

The court heard he kicked her on the leg before wrestling the bat from her. He went on to hit her on the head with the bat and punch her.

More than a month later he started making a series of late-night phone calls to her.

He was on bail at the time with conditions not to contact his victim or leave Mold, where he was staying in North Wales.

Mr Barr said Porter was arrested when he flagged down a police car in the Devonshire Road area, telling them he was in breach of his bail conditions.

When he arrived at the police station he produced a butter knife, informing officers: “You missed this.”

Ciaran Rankin, defending, blamed the couple’s problems on her client’s drinking.

He said: “He is truly sorry. Time has passed on and he has made good use of the four months or so he has spent in custody.”

Judge Robert Altham told Porter: “Your demeanour was designed to be arrogant and threatening.

“Ordinarily, striking a woman to the head with a bat would attract a far more serious charge. I required to see the video before I was satisfied it was the proper charge.

“The hitting is hard enough to hurt and frighten, but it was not a ferocious hit. You clearly didn’t put your full weight being the strike. It must have been very frightening.

“I am perfectly satisfied that only a sentence of custody is appropriate. The offending was too serious to suspend it.”

Porter pleaded guilty to offences of assault, criminal damage, attempted assault, intimidation and having a bladed article.

He was sentence to two years in jail and a five-year restraining order was imposed.