Prison for ‘vicious’ attacker

Robert Armstrong
Robert Armstrong
Have your say

A Blackpool man responsible for a catalogue of violence against his ex-partner has been jailed for more than four years.

A judge passing sentence on Robert Armstrong at Preston Crown Court described his behaviour as “monstrous” and “vicious”.

The court heard how he repeatedly struck his partner’s head against a garden wall last Christmas and headbutted her sister who later needed to wear a gum shield for six weeks.

He had started to strangle his partner before kicking and stamping on her head. He had also subbed out a cigarette on her neck and left her with a fractured eye socket.

The 21-year-old, of Chiselhurst Avenue, Blackpool, pleaded guilty inflicting grievous bodily harm and three others of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Joseph Allman, prosecuting, said Armstrong and the woman had a 10-month relationship.

On Christmas Day they argued at her mother’s address in Blackpool, before both threw punches at each other.

Armstrong then grabbed her by the hair and repeatedly hit her head against a garden wall.

Her sister, who tried to intervene, was headbutted in the mouth.

This caused her to have two teeth.

The couple went on to separate in June. They later met up as part of a group of friends at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

During that encounter, Armstrong went on at one stage to grab her by the throat with both hands and take her to the floor.

He then stubbed out a cigarette on her neck, leaving a burn.

A few minutes later Armstrong began shouting at her again and kicked and stamped on her face. The final violent incident arose in July.

The victim went to an address on Lune Grove, where Armstrong was then living, to collect a bag. He went on to punch her, causing a fractured eye socket.

The victim was in so much pain she ended up returning to hospital two days later and was given painkillers.

As a result of the violence, she suffered swollen eyes and lips, had a finger nail ripped out, suffered a burn mark on her neck, as well as a fractured eye socket, multiple bruises to her arms, bruising to her back and injuries to her right foot.

Julie Taylor, defending, said the relationship had been “toxic”. It was now over.

“A combination of alcohol and cannabis are the root cause of his offending.

“He has detoxified while on remand in custody and has an insight into how they affected his thinking and his behaviour,” she added.

“Cannabis made him feel paranoid that he was being pushed and bullied.

“Alcohol made him behave aggressively when he got those feelings”. Miss Taylor added that after serving his sentence, Armstrong intended to move back to Scotland.

He had expressed remorse and it was his first taste of custody.

Judge Jacqueline Beech described his behaviour as “monstrous” and “vicious”.

Jailing him for four years and nine months, she told him: “Not only should you be remorseful, you should be ashamed”.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.