Prison for man who savaged victim’s ear

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Have your say

A text message led to a brutal attack outside a Blackpool bar where a man had part of his ear bitten off.

Jordan Dean mistakenly thought that a girl had split up with her boyfriend.

Sean Rainey has been jailed for more than two years

Sean Rainey has been jailed for more than two years

But that was not the case and her boyfriend, Sean Rainey, punched him to the face and body before taking hold of his left ear between his teeth.

Rainey, 30, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to a charge of unlawful wounding.

His not guilty plea to a more serious allegation of wounding with intent was accepted by the prosecution.

Paul McDonald, prosecuting, said that on November 21 last year Mr Dean sent a text message to the defendant’s girlfriend. Mr Dean had apparently thought that the pair had split up and the message had been explicit.

On November 28, Rainey angrily asked him what he was doing by sending the message. Mr Dean tried to apologise, saying he didn’t know they were still together.

The following night, Mr Dean was at Bar 19 on Queen Street when he bumped into Rainey who gestured for him to go over.

The two men went to a smoking area at the back of the bar. While they were there, without warning, Rainey was said to have punched him in the face and body.

The prosecution said Mr Dean ended up falling to his knees and that Rainey then leant forward, took hold of his left ear between his teeth and bit part of it off.

Mr McDonald said a member of the door staff managed to find the missing part, but despite best efforts to preserve it, it could not re-attached.

Rainey was identified by CCTV footage.

The court heard that back in 2008, Rainey was given five years for possessing drugs with intent to supply, plus two years on top for a wounding.

He was on licence at the time the latest offence arose and has since been recalled.

His recall was due to last another two years and he has already spent six months in custody.

Paul Humphries, defending, said “He had not been out searching for the other male. It was a purely a chance meeting which arose.

“There had been an earlier discussion in the bar, where there was no injury.

“The defendant then went out to the yard, followed by Mr Dean”.

Judge Andrew Woolman said a nasty injury had been caused.

He told Rainey: “In many respects, it seems to me you are a dangerous individual. The only sentence I can pass is one of immediate imprisonment”.

The judge passed a prison term of two years and four months.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.