Player facing further action

Gareth Moore
Gareth Moore
Share this article
Have your say

A THUG who attacked three rival players during an amateur football match could be facing an indefinite ban from the game.

Lytham Town striker Gareth Moore, 22, was spared jail at Preston Crown Court “by the skin of his teeth” after he punched three Longridge Town players during a West Lancashire League match in February.

Moore pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two common assaults on the day of his scheduled trial last month.

Moore, of Kent Road, Blackpool, received a 12-month term, suspended for two years, was ordered to perform 140 hours of unpaid work and observe a six-week curfew between 8pm and 6am. He was also told to pay £750 compensation to one footballer and £75 each to the other two footballers.

Now it has emerged he is facing a lengthy ban from any form of football across the whole of the UK after he was charged by the Lancashire Football Association.

Moore has been charged with bringing the game into disrepute under section E3 of the FA rules which if found guilty, could see him suspended indefinitely.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Manchester-based sports marketing firm Eleven Sports Media, where Moore has worked for the last five months, said he regretted what had happened.

He added: “Ever since Gareth came here he was very open with us about the incident.

“Each individual deserves a second chance, and that’s certainly what we want to give Gareth.

“This was an occurrence Gareth deeply regrets. If we felt like he had anything like that in his personality we would not have employed him, but we believe Gareth will prove to everyone that something like this will not happen again.

“He has certainly not taken this situation lightly, and yesterday his overriding emotion was not one of relief. He deeply regrets his actions and is very sorry about what happened.

“His punishment is going to hit him quite hard and will have a positive impact on him.”