‘No girl is safe’

An evofit issued by police of the man wanted for the Grange Park attacks.
An evofit issued by police of the man wanted for the Grange Park attacks.
Share this article
Have your say

DISTRAUGHT residents of a Blackpool estate have made a desperate plea to catch a sex beast still on the run two months after attacking two young girls.

Grange Park residents today warned “no girl is safe” until the attacker, who struck twice on the alleyway from Garstang Road near the bowling green, is caught and brought to justice.

Maureen Horn, chairman of Grange Park Residents Association, said youngsters in the area have been advised to be on their guard.

She added: “What happened it terrible. We’ve spoken to the young people about stranger danger and they know where there are safe houses to go on the estate.

“We have told them to stick together. School will be starting back in three weeks – we need to get this message out.

“It’s a must he is caught. I’ve seen more police than I have done in a while. They are trying to do a good job.”

Police have linked the two incidents which happened in the same area, near the bowling green.

One teen was grabbed by a man as she walked down the cut through just after 9am on Thursday, June 14.

Just days earlier, another girl was approached at 8.30am on Friday, June 1.

No sexual assault took place on that occasion but the girl was grabbed by a man, who fled when she screamed.

Betty Wenman, 71, of Chepstow Road, Grange Park, said: “No girl is safe. It must be traumatic for the girls, poor things.

“They need to catch him, the more people who help the better.”

Mum-of-four Tina Walton, 33, from Grange Park, added: “Everyone’s really shocked. I don’t let my children play on the park now because of what happened nearby. He needs to be caught, We don’t feel safe.

“I keep looking to see if I can recognise the guy. Maybe there needs to be more pictures of what he looks like around the streets so people can also look our for him.”

Robert Peacock, 42, of Boundary Court, Grange Park, said he has seen girls still using the alley way on their own.

He said: “It’s ridiculous he hasn’t been caught yet. It’s awful.

“We don’t want it to happen again. But girls are still walking down the cut-through, they need to stick to the path.”

Antony Brown, of Argosy Avenue, Grange Park, said: “It happened near the park right opposite where I live.

“I’m worried for my daughter, he needs to be caught. People have been talking about it a lot and I’ve seen the police doing inquiries.

“There should be more photos of him in the pubs, where people can see them.”

Two men arrested in connection with the incidents have both been released without charge.

Police continue to appeal for information.

Det Chief Insp Andrea Barrow, who is leading the investigation, said: “We remain dedicated to solving this case and getting justice for the two young girls who have understandably been left traumatised by what has happened to them. Both continue to be supported by dedicated family liaison officers.”

The offender in both incidents was described as a white man, aged 16 to 18-years-old, around 5ft 9in tall with short blondish hair.

Anyone with any information is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.