Nightclub bite thug given jail sentence

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Share this article
Have your say

A SINGLE mum who bit a woman’s thumb during a nightclub attack caused a wound which became seriously infected.

Victoria Smith struck out while on a night out at Ma Kelly’s in Talbot Road, Blackpool, shortly before last Christmas.

Preston Crown Court heard she only let go when staff intervened. She was ejected from the premises, but followed her victim and attacked her again.

The defendant later handed herself in to police folllowing an appeal to find the person responsible.

Smith, 22, of Chadfield Road, Blackpool, admitted unlawful wounding.

The court heard how the victim needed protracted medical assistance over some months, involving operations, as a result of the infection. She has made a 95 per cent recovery, but the experience caused her a great deal of distress, anxiety and inconvenience.

Almost four months later the defendant carried out a common assault on another woman where she again drunkenly bit that person on the thumb.

She had entered a front garden, lost her temper and grabbed the victim by the hair.

That bite resulted caused a deep cut. For that offence Smith was given a nine months Community Order, with supervision.

Bunty Batra, defending, said Smith handed herself in to police following a press appeal to try to find the person responsible for the nightclub attack.

He added: “It has to be said she never intended to inflict the serious harm which resulted. Her actions at the time were spontaneous, she accepts getting into a fight.

“She is clearly ashamed of what she has done.”

Mr Batra added Smith had been responding well to the Community Order made a couple of months ago. She was motivated to address her problems. In the past she had suffered physical and mental abuse from a former partner.

Passing sentence, Recorder Michael Murray, told Smith: “You acted in a foolish and violent way which had serious consequences for the victim, as you well know.

“In drink you attacked her in a nightclub, delivering what must have been a vicious bite to the thumb.

“It appears you didn’t let go till staff intervened.

“Ejected from the premises, you followed her and attacked her again”.

The defendant was given nine months jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months supervision and a four months long curfew to operate from 8pm to 6am each night.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.