Mother left terrified by vicious attack

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Have your say

A young mother who was subjected to a vicious prolonged beating by a former boyfriend was now terrified of all men, a court was told.

The woman was repeatedly strangled until she could barely breathe.

Her attacker also got on top of her and bit her on the back.

The assault took place in front of her two-year-old son, who at one stage fell off a bed bumping his head, when the man grabbed a duvet.

Luke Bellas, 28, formerly of Furness Avenue, Grange Park, now living in Tynedale Road on the same estate, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks in prison, suspended for 18 months, ordered to do 100 hours’ unpaid work for the community and put on a two months’ curfew from 8pm to 6am by Blackpool magistrates.

Bellas was also ordered to pay compensation of £500 to his victim with £85 costs plus £80 victims’ surcharge and put on a one-year Restraining Order, which bans him from contacting his ex or entering her home road on the Grange Park estate.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said Bellas went to his ex’s home to collect some belongings on February 5.

She went into another room to get away from him because he had been drinking.

Bellas followed, pushed her into a wall and pinned her on the sofa, squeezing her neck tightly.

He grabbed her throat several more times and throttled her so hard she almost lost consciousness.

In a victim’s statement the woman said : “I am terrified of him and so scared for my son.

“I am terrified of all men. My hair is falling out because of the stress and I am too scared to go out. I want to move.”

Stephen Duffy, defending, said his client had been celebrating his promotion to team leader and he became upset because he was not welcome at his ex’s home as he had been drinking.

The defence added that Bellas said his ex attacked him and hit him in the face. Bellas said their relationship was at an end and he understood she had a new partner.