Man jailed after cutting pregnant woman’s throat

Jamie Connor has been jailed for 18 months
Jamie Connor has been jailed for 18 months
Share this article
Have your say

A man who cut his pregnant girlfriend’s throat with a kitchen knife after an argument has been jailed for 18 months.

Jamie Connor claimed to police the injury had been self-inflicted by the woman as she held a knife to her own neck.

But a court heard Connor carried out the attack after a row.

Judge Andrew Woolman, passing sentence at Preston Crown Court, said: “It sounds a dreadful offence. I’m quite sure she was terrified.

“Fortunately, you didn’t do a lot of damage. Had it been more than that the sentence would have been considerably larger”.

Connor, 24, of Alexandra Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding.

The offence happened last June while the woman was in the early stages of pregnancy.

The couple had been in a four-month relationship with the defendant having allegedly behaved in a controlling manner.

Peter Barr, prosecuting, said that initially, the relationship had been good. But the woman began to feel Connor was very controlling of her.

He would be argumentative towards her.

Around June 8 she had arranged to meet a friend, who she believed the defendant didn’t like.

He phoned her up at one point and was abusive.

At about midnight the victim asked her father to come and pick her up. He took her back to his home.

Connor and the woman rowed at the father’s home, where the defendant was heard shouting and screaming at her.

When she went to her bedroom Connor continued to shout at her.

She got up, stood by the bedroom door and asked him to leave. The defendant went towards her and she felt a pain to her neck.

The prosecution said Connor was holding a black handled kitchen knife, about six inches long, in his right hand.

Mr Barr said: “She knew straight away she had been cut to her throat. She screamed very loudly. Her father came into the room and the defendant left the room.”

The victim was treated at hospital for what was described as a superficial cut to the skin at the front of the neck which was cleaned and glued.

Connor was arrested not long afterwards on Lytham Road, South Shore.

In police interview he maintained the woman had the knife, held it to her throat and that her injury was self inflicted.

Rosalind Emsley-Smith, defending, said: “He (Connor) accepts there was an argument that particular day.

“Part and parcel of the argument was around her drinking that night, despite being pregnant”.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.