Man admits savage knife attack

Andrew Tuley, 43, stabbed his estranged wife repeatedly on Dinmore Avenue.
Andrew Tuley, 43, stabbed his estranged wife repeatedly on Dinmore Avenue.
Share this article
Have your say

A man who repeatedly stabbed his former partner in front of her children has pleaded guilty to attempted murder.

Andrew Tuley, of Draycot Avenue, Grange Park, left his estranged wife with wounds to her face, neck and body during the “savage” attack.

She was stabbed repeatedly and we did fear the worst on the evening.

Det Insp Gareth Willis

The 43-year-old is thought to have stolen a key to the victim’s Dinmore Avenue home before letting himself in and carrying out the horrific assault.

Police said they feared the 47-year-old woman’s injuries might have been fatal when they found her covered in blood following the incident on January 3.

Tuley was charged with attempted murder and pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court.

Det Insp Gareth Willis, of Blackpool CID, said: “She suffered horrendous wounds and thankfully she is making a full physical recovery.

“She was stabbed repeatedly and we did fear the worst on the evening.”

Following the stabbing, which took place at around 1am, neighbours reported hearing screams. One said she found the victim in front of a nearby property “covered in blood from head to toe”.

Detectives today praised the victim and witnesses for helping bring Tuley to justice - but conceded they may never know what caused him to launch such a brutal attack on the mother of his children.

Det Insp Willis added: “He has decided for whatever reason to carry out what appears to be a motiveless, savage attack and tried to kill his ex-wife.

“We don’t know what caused him to do that.

“He has just gone round to her address and stabbed her in front of her children.

“I would like to pay testament to her bravery and thank the local community who have provided statements in this investigation.”

Tuley has been remanded in custody and will be sentenced on May 22.

‘I just heard shouting and screaming...’

Neighbours recalled their shock at discovering the attack.

Katrina Newton, of Dinmore Avenue, said she heard screaming across the road from her home in the early hours of January 3.

The 46-year-old said: “It was about 1am - I was still watching television and heard shouting and screaming outside. I first thought it better not be some kids messing about. My conscience pricked and I thought if it was me screaming it would be awful if no-one came to help.

“When I looked over the road a neighbour was with the woman. I opened my door and dashed over to help. She was covered in blood from head to toe. It was dark but we could see she was bleeding heavily.

“I did not think she was going to survive.

“By the way the paramedics were talking they did not think her chances were good.”

Ms Newton said she helped the woman to her doorstep and called the police.