Magistrates Court round-up

Blackpool Magistrates Court.
Blackpool Magistrates Court.
Share this article
Have your say

A woman accused of driving a Peugeot at Fleetwood while unfit through drink has made her first appearance at court.

Mia McDonald, 39, of Staveley Grove, Fleetwood, who is also alleged to have driven without insurance and not in accordance with her licence, was bailed by Blackpool magistrates.

• A man looking for pieces of fish in bins opened an insecure door at business premises in Fleetwood and set off the alarm.

Richard Sleet, unemployed, 32, of Balmoral Terrace, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to burglary with intent to steal and theft of meat.

He was sentenced to a 10 weeks curfew from 8pm to 6am Sundays to Thursdays and ordered to pay a £180 court charge with £35 compensation plus £60 victims surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said Sleet stole £30 worth of meat from the Co-op, Fleetwood, on August 24.

On October 6 at 4.30am the alarm went off at The Fish House, Fleetwood. CCTV showed Sleet outside trying a delivery van door and then opening the door of the premises and stepping inside.

When interviewed he denied stealing anything and said he just looked in because he was being nosey.

Steven Townley, defending, said Sleet had been told scallops and fish were sometimes discarded in bins at the rear of The Fish House so he went to see if he could find some.

He saw the door to the premises was not properly locked as the person meant to lock up had turned the key the wrong way. He took one step inside and ran off when the alarm sounded.

n A woman struggling with debts turned to fraud to ease her plight.

Wendy Wood failed to tell the authorities that she had a series of jobs whilst she claimed Housing and Council Tax benefit.

Wodd, 33, of Chester Avenue,Poulton, admitted four offences of failing to declare a change in her circumstances to Wyre Borough Council when she appeared before Blackpool Magistrates.

She was given a 24 week jail sentence suspended for a year.

Mary Grimshaw ,prosecuting for the council, said that during the period of the offences, Wood had worked as a cook at the Sheraton Hotel,Blackpool, The Primrose Bank nursing home,Poulton and twice at the Bull Hotel, Poulton.

When she asked about work by the council she only admitted to being a self-employed dog walker.

In all she received benefits totalling £20,983 to which she was not entitled.

Steven Townley, defending, said that Wood had split up with her partner and began to struggle financially.

He said: “She had a lot of debt and lost her home.The money was not used to fund some sort of luxurious lifestyle.”

• A builder who stole £4 of beer protested to magistrates when they ordered him to pay a total of £250 in financial penalties for the crime.

Gareth Bibby told the bench at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court: “I just think it’s a joke. All for the sake of £4.

“What it I don’t pay. It’s not like I do it every day. I’m not a bad person and I work.”

Bibby, 32, of Crescent Avenue, Cleveleys, pleaded guilty to theft.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay a £150 court charge with £85 costs plus £15 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said Bibby stole four cans of lager valued at £4 from Iceland, Lord Street, Fleetwood, on August 6.

Police tracked him down and told him to return to the shop and pay for the goods. Police also said they were issuing him with an on-the-spot fine, but Bibby did not accept the fixed penalty fine.

Michael Woosnam, defending, said Bibby had taken the lager because there was a long queue at the till and he had to return to work.

After being spoken to by police Bibby returned to the shop apologised and paid for the lager he had stolen. He had felt it would be out of order to pay the on-the-spot fine on top of that.

• A man was almost three times the drink drive limit when he hit a parked vehicle Blackpool Magistrates heard.

At the wheel was Jason McIver, 36, of Beech Avenue, Cleveleys.

McIver was convicted of drink driving and driving without insurance when he appeared at court.

Pam Smith prosecuting said that the collision took place on Queensbury Road Thornton Cleveleys in September this year.

McIver was banned from the road for two years.He was also put on a 12 month community order which includes 20 hours rehabilitation.

He must also complete 100 hours unpaid work for the community and pay £295 in costs and fines.

Robert Castle, defending,said that McIver had drive a Ford Mondeo at the request of its owner – a woman who was a passenger in the vehicle when it crashed.

• A medic stalked his former girlfriend engineering meetings with her and phoning her after he had ended their relationship.

Robert Wilding then left her a message telling her she was in his will and that he was going to do something in the next five minutes.

Wilding, 51, of St Peters Place, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to harassing his ex between November 20 and 22.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said the couple had met in January last year and in October this year Wilding ended the relationship. His girlfriend felt he had done that to test her reaction.

She then started to get numerous calls from him and emails to her work.

She told police and he was given a harassment warning.

After this she was walking her dog on The Mount at Fleetwood and she saw him with his dog. She felt he had purposely set out to bump into her.

The same day she was in the port’s Dockers pub when Wilding came in.

She tried to ignore him but he kept coming over to where she was stood with her brother, trying to speak to her.

He made a number of calls to her and then left a message saying she was in his will.

She believed he was going to harm himself and alerted police.

Patrick Nelligan, defending, said Wilding, a solider for 22 years who reached the rank of Warrant Officer had no previous convictions and was leaving soon to work in Jordan as a medic.

Wilding had spent two days in custody and now accepted his behaviour had not been appropriate.

The defence added that a situation had arisen because Wilding’s ex had accused a teacher of assaulting her young son.

Wilding said that was not true and he had put pressure on his ex to come clean.

Wilding was bailed for pre-sentence reports by Blackpool magistrates and must not contact his ex or enter Harris Street, Fleetwood.

• A waitress accused of smashing a glass in her boyfriend’s face causing serious facial injuries has made her first appearance at court.

Orathai Phatthanakul, 32, of Hardhorn Road, Poulton, is charged with unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on her partner on November 23.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, asked for the case to be heard at crown court. Defence lawyer, Steven Townley, said his client would not indicate a plea to the offence at this stage.

The defendant was bailed to appear at Preston Crown Court on December 16 by Blackpool magistrates.

She must not contact the complainant or go within 100 metres of his address in the resort’s Waterloo Road as conditions of her bail.