Latest convictions from Blackpool's court - Monday, August 27, 2018

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court. Read more at:

Friday, 24th August 2018, 5:50 pm
Updated Friday, 24th August 2018, 6:55 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Ashley Bacon, 45, assaulting a police officer and criminal damage

A man who had been smoking the drug spice attacked police at Blackpool who were trying to help him.

Ashley Bacon was lying on the pavement unable to move or speak but later fought with officers who helped him up.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Blackpool Magistrates Court

Bacon, , 45, of Ashcott Drive, Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police constable and damaging the officer’s watch.

He was fined £100 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £150 compensation to the officer plus £30 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police were called to Dickson Road where Bacon was lying on the floor on July 29 at 11.45pm.

After being helped up, Bacon punched an officer on the jaw and the constable’s watch strap was snapped as he and other officers grappled on the ground with the defendant.

Suzanne Mugford, defending, said Bacon and his partner had come to the resort for the weekend and after a meal and drinks he wanted to smoke some cannabis.

Bacon approached a man he thought was smoking cannabis and asked if he could buy some. The man said no but offered to share what he was smoking.

Bacon smoked some and the man then told him he had been smoking spice.

David Plummer, 47, drink-driving

A motorist stopped because he was driving without lights was found to be more than twice over the alcohol limit.

David Plummer was on the way back from a party and his wife and four-year-old daughter were passengers in the car at the time.

Plummer, a 47-year-old off-shore worker, of Whiteholme Road, Thornton, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was banned from the road for 20 months and fined £1,080 with £85 costs plus £108 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Tracy Yates, said police saw Plummer driving a Nissan Juke without lights as he negotiated a roundabout and officers stopped him on Kincraig Road, on July 21 at 11.05pm.

A breath test showed 84 microgrammes.

Daniel Breeze, 34, assault and dangerous driving

A man who tried to strangle his girlfriend led police on a chase at speeds of up to 130mph.

Daniel Breeze, who also stamped on his girlfriend’s head until she was unconscious, fled from Blackpool in a BMW and was pursued along motorways and in residential areas where he drove at 100mph when the speed limit was 40mph.

Breeze, a 24-year-old plumbing engineer, of Bretton Court, Salford, pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm and dangerous driving.

He was refused bail and remanded in custody to September 19 for sentence at Preston Crown Court.

Prosecutor, Tracy Yates, said police were called to Blackpool’s Abingdon Street, on August 20 at 2.30am, where Breeze’s girlfriend was lying with facial wounds and severe bruising.

She told officers Breeze had first tried to push her out of his moving car, then dragged her out by the hair, put a top round her neck and tried to strangle her before knocking her unconscious by repeatedly stamping on her head.

Breeze fled Blackpool via the M55 then M61 where police spotted him.

He was ordered to stop but took no notice.

As police pursued him he reached speeds of 130mph in wet conditions onto the M60.

On the A6 Salford Road he was driving at speeds up to 100mph in residential areas where the speed limit was 40mph.

Police considered his driving was so dangerous they abandoned their pursuit. At 3.42am he was arrested after crashing at traffic lights on the A675 in Bolton.

Craig Robbins, 26, racially aggravated threatening behaviour, criminal damage, drunk and disorderly

A man racially abused a policeman of Polish origin after the officer arrested him.

Craig Robbins also damaged a holding cell door at Blackpool’s new police station by smashing his handcuffed hands so hard against the door that one of the cuffs came off his hand.

Robbins, a 26-year-old stepfather-of-four, of Tyrone Avenue, Bispham, pleaded guilty to racially aggravated threatening behaving, causing damage and being drunk and disorderly.

He was sentenced to do 50 hours unpaid work for the community and pay compensation of £50 to the officer and £50 for the cell plus £85 costs.

Prosecutor, Tracy Yates, said police were called to outside Flamingos, Queen Street on August 5, and when an officer tried to speak to Robbins he ran .

The officer caught him hiding behind a fence and Robbins became racially abusive to the officer.