Killer refuses to give up son

Stephen Kidd
Stephen Kidd
Have your say

A convicted murderer has vowed to continue fighting to be allowed to see his five-year-old son after his case was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.

Stephen Kidd (pictured right)was jailed for life along with friend Lea Mason for killing their flatmate Darren Presley in January 2008.

During a trial at Preston Crown Court the pair admitted stamping their 60-year-old victim to death at their Devonshire Road flat.

Kidd’s former girlfriend Kirsty Burdon, 24, who was five months pregnant with his baby at the time of the offence, pleaded guilty to assisting an offender after lying to police.

But Kidd, now 42, claims he is innocent and pleaded guilty to protect his son, who he says is now being looked after by his ex-girlfriend’s family.

He appeared in the London court via video link from prison, as he argued his case, which was dismissed.

After the hearing, in which he represented himself, he said: “The judge is basically saying that unless my conviction is quashed, I’m not going to be able to see him.

“I’m distressed but I am not going to give in.

“I am going to prove my case.”

He said he now hopes to appeal to the Supreme Court.

A guardian of Kidd’s son said: “I am pleased he lost his appeal. He will probably try again but we will fight that when it comes.

“The decision was in the best interests of the boy.”

Police believe the attack on Mr Presley took place following an argument after all parties had been drinking at the flat at some stage between January 8 and January 11, 2008.

The trial heard how Mason, then 32, of no fixed abode, and Kidd turned on Mr Presley after he revealed he had served time for abusing children.

Mr Presley died after suffering serious head injuries in what detectives described as a “sustained and brutal attack”.

Kidd, now serving his life sentence at Gartree Prison in Leicestershire, has served five years behind bars.

His sentencing judge told him he must serve a minimum of 15 years before he is eligible to apply for parole.