Jailed over street attacks

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

A thug who carried out two brutal street robberies in Blackpool has been jailed for four and a half years.

David Crossfield set upon a man in an alleyway, stealing his wallet after he had befriended him in the resort’s Kaos bar.

Then, in the Rigby Road area, he launched a vicious 
attack on a man who was walking home.

The 21-year-old, of Chapel Street, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to two offences of robbery.

Two other men linked to the case appeared alongside him at Preston Crown court.

The first incident happened on June 20 last year.

Alison Mather, prosecuting, said the victim was deaf and had angina, as well as other health difficulties.

The prosecution suggested he was targeted by Crossfield and another defendant, 
Jason Dickinson, who befriended him in the Kaos bar.

But as the victim left, he was set upon and his wallet taken. Dickinson, who admitted theft, took a total of £440 belonging to the man, by going to cash machines.

The prosecution said the crime had a significant impact on the victim. He had an angina attack during the assault and an ambulance was called.

The second robbery took place on July 5.

A man was walking home in the Rigby Road area, after a night out in Blackpool, when Crossfield approached from behind and delivered a flying kick to his back, using his full body weight.

Another man then punched and kicked the victim to the head and body.

Crossfield would not give police the name of the second man involved.

His barrister, John Woodward, said the defendant was sorry for what took place.

“He and his associates simply rub each other up the wrong way. There was maybe an element of showing off in front of each other. That’s what happened on both of these occasions. He wants to get out of custody as soon as possible and start afresh”.

Judge Andrew Woolman told Crossfield: “You certainly seem to be someone who is out of control. One can only hope you reflect on whether you can safely live in the community with other people”.

Dickinson, 20, of Rede 
Avenue, Fleetwood, admitted theft and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The assault related to an incident in February last year at a flat.

Dickinson and another man were involved in an attack where a male suffered cuts and bruising.

Bunty Batra, defending him, said he had never been to custody before. He had now served the equivalent of a 14-month sentence during his time on remand.

He denied any suggestion of deliberately targeting a robbery victim. The assault had involved a simple punch.

Dickinson was given a sentence of 14 months’ custody, which would mean his immediate release.

The third defendant linked to the overall case, Lewis Jones, 28, and formerly of Princess Court, Blackpool admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm. His sentence was deferred for six months until September 18.

His barrister said Jones had believed that man who was assaulted had designs on his girlfriend and that they may have had a brief fling, though she denied it.