Jail for thug who battered partner

Mark Gill is behind bars after a 'truly appalling' attack on his girlfriend.
Mark Gill is behind bars after a 'truly appalling' attack on his girlfriend.
Have your say

POLICE had to shoot a man with a stun gun after they were called to an the address where he was violently attacking his partner.

Preston Crown Court heard how Mark Gill threw a bottle at the woman’s head, stopped her escaping out of a window and slapped and punched her as the assault continued.

At one stage the victim begged for help from a delivery driver who had gone to the address on Southbank Avenue, Marton, with a pizza order.

After police arrived at the scene, he threatened to hang himself with a piece of computer cable and went on to be shot with a stun gun.

Gill appeared in court having admitted a charge of affray over the incident which happened just before last Christmas.

Jailing the 23-year-old, Judge Stuart Baker told him: “This is about as bad as it gets. It is a serious case of affray.”

Francis McEntee, prosecuting, said Gill had become agitated and a row broke out at the home where the defendant knocked over a living room coffee table.

He then threw a bottle, striking his partner on the head and injuring her.

He went on to throw a mobile phone and a TV remote control at her. He then pulled the landline telephone cable out of the wall.

The front and back doors were locked so the victim tried to climb out the window more then once. Gill grabbed her and pulled her back.

While she lay on the floor he punched her and slapped her in the face.

The delivery driver then came to the house and she appealed to him for help.

The incident lasted about an hour, after which the victim was left “quite distressed”, the court heard.

Mr McEntee added: “According to a police officer, the defendant reeked of alcohol.

“At one stage he was headbutting the inside of a window.

“He took out a computer cable and there was a threat he would hang himself. A taser was used to subdue him.”

Rachel Woods, defending, said the relationship was now over and what had happened was very much out of character. Gill was thoroughly ashamed by his court appearance.

He was not known for any reports of domestic violence in any relationship.

Miss Woods added: “It was an appalling incident. It very quickly escalated out of control when emotions were running very high.

“Being on remand in custody, for the first time in his life, has been a very salutary experience.”

Gill had spent the equivalent of a 10-month prison term behind bars during his time on remand.

The judge jailed Gill for 70 weeks and imposed a three-year restraining order on him.

He said: “This was a truly appalling piece of domestic violence. Fortunately, there was little injury sustained. You were totally out of control.

“This is about as bad as it gets. It is a serious case of affray. The only possible sentence is one of prison.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.