'˜I think back to him throwing petrol over me' - Man tells of his horrifying ordeal as thug is jailed for 12 years

The victim of a brutal thug who was battered with a metal post and was drenched with lighter fuel has told how his horrifying ordeal has left him scared to leave his home.

Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 7:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 10:47 am
Lance Edwards

The 50-year-old was left with multiple broken bones, including a broken elbow, crushed knuckles and broken hand bones and fractures to multiple vertebrae in his lower back by Lance Edwards.

Edwards, 37, of Clarendon Road, North Shore, has been locked up for 12 years for the attack which left the 50-year-old in hospital for almost two weeks.

Shortly after the first incident Edwards assaulted the victim again and poured flammable liquid all over his face and body causing him to fear that he would be set on fire. The judge at Preston Crown Court ruled he was a dangerous offender and sentenced him to 12 years custody with a three month extended licence period.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lance Edwards

In a statement read to the court, the victim described how the incidents had affected him.

He said: “These incidents have had a lasting effect on me. I struggle to sleep and I lie awake feeling nervous.

“Every noise makes me jumpy and I re-live the assaults over and over in my head. I still hear his voice in my head shouting ‘get me a lighter, get me a lighter’ and I think back to him throwing petrol over me.

“As a result of these incidents I am frightened of nipping out of the flat.

“I can no longer play guitar which I loved to do. I can’t fish and cast a rod and I struggle to even ride a bike. I used to read but find I can no longer concentrate and am jumpy and distracted.

“I have lost touch with most of my circle of friends.

“I no longer have the confidence to go out and socialise.

“For the past year I have mainly confined myself to my flat and at times have felt like a prisoner in my own home. I have been left feeling very vulnerable both physically and mentally.”

Edwards pleaded guilty to Section 18 wounding on April 9 and was sentenced last week.