Heil Hitler chants after whisky binge

Blackpool Magistrates Court
Blackpool Magistrates Court
Have your say

A MAN launched a racist attack on a neighbour after getting “blitzed” on drink, a court was told.

David Barnes repeatedly shouted “I’m going to cut your throat” at the man before yelling “Heil Hitler” and making a Nazi salute.

The victim, who was Jamaican born, but has lived in this country for more than 50 years and is a British citizen, was disgusted and afraid of what he heard.

When police handcuffed Barnes at the scene on Durham Road, Blackpool, they noticed he was so drunk he could barely stand.

The 42-year-old, now of Chester Avenue, Poulton, admitted racially aggravated fear or provocation of violence during the incident on the night of May 25.

Kirsten McAteer, prosecuting, said the victim lived upstairs from the defendant. He was watching a DVD and having a few drinks with friends when he heard shouting from Barnes’ flat.

The victim saw the defendant in the communal hallway where Barnes told him “I’m going to cut your throat” and ran his finger across his throat before starting up the stairs towards him.

Barnes got to the top of the stairs and then fell over drunk. He repeated “I’m gonna cut your throat”, which caused the other man to feel threatened.

The victim closed his flat door but the defendant repeated the comment and said “Heil Hitler” before making a Nazi salute. He then stabbed the door at least three times with something in his left hand.

The incident lasted around 10 minutes. When police got there, Barnes had an extendable baton in his right hand.

Miss McAteer added “The defendant was swaying and his speech was slurred. He eventually moved away from the door and stood with his hands in the air.

“He was handcuffed, but so drunk he could barely hold himself up”.

Barnes told police he had drunk a considerable amount of whisky and ended up “blitzed”. What happened after that was hazy.

Chris Hudson, defending, said Barnes had left the address the day after he was released following his arrest. He had now cut down on his drinking.

Mr Hudson added: “He has no recollection of the incident. He had drunk the best part of a bottle of whisky. It was a crassly stupid drunken escapade.

“When he sobered up, he realised what he had done.”

Barnes was given 12 months’ prison, suspended for 18 months, with 18 months’ supervision and a nine month alcohol treatment programme. He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.