From the courts 15-10-15

Alan Brogan, 30, absconded from Kirkham Prison.
Alan Brogan, 30, absconded from Kirkham Prison.
Share this article
Have your say

Police warning over missing violent con

A convicted criminal with a history of violent crimes has been on the run for a week after absconding from Kirkham Prison.

Members of the public are advised not to approach Alan Brogan, who was serving an eight-year jail sentence for crimes including robbery and wounding.

Police are hunting the 30-year-old after he left HMP Kirkham at around 9pm on Wednesday, October 7.

Brogan is originally from the Preston area but officers believe he may have travelled further afield.

In July 2009, he was sentenced to eight years behind bars for wounding with intent, aggravated burglary, robbery, theft and possession of a prohibited weapon.

Det Con David Kerigan, of Lancashire Police, said: “If anyone has seen Alan Brogan, I would urge them to let us know. We are advising the public not to approach him but to contact the police instead.”

He is described as being 6ft 1in tall, with light coloured hair, blue eyes and of slim build. He has a distinctive tattoo on his right forearm of the word ‘Brogan’.

Anyone with information should call police on 101 and quote log number 1446 of October 7.

• A care worker force fed a disabled man by forcing his head back so hard a witness thought it might break his neck.

Rachael Forrest was trying to feed the 37 year old man his lunch.

But he had his head on his chest and did not appear to want to eat.

She put her palm on his forehead and the man’s head was pushed back in a whip-lash manner about six times.

Forrest shouted at the man who was disabled in a car accident :”Eat your food now. I have not got all day.I have other things to do.”

Forrest of The Crescent, Blackpool, cried throughout a court hearing at which she pleaded guilty to ill treating a patient.

Sentencing the 24 year old to a 12 week jail term suspended for a year District Judge Jeff Brailsford sitting at Blackpool Magistrates Court told her: “Because of the huge care industry there is I have to make it clear to others working in that industry that they face severe penalties if they do not care properly for those who cannot look after themselves.”

Malcolm Isherwood, prosecuting, said that Forrest worked for a private car firm-UBU- at a unit for people with assisted living needs.

Five men lived at the unit in Poulton.

He said : “Forrest was feeding the complainant and a co worker said she looked stressed and saw her push the patient’s head back six times.

“The witness was worried this might break his neck or cause a seizure.

“The witness was shocked and disgusted and went to a bathroom where they were almost physically sick.”

The incident was reported to management who did not report it immediately to the police so the witness went themselves to the police.

In interview Forrest told officers she was tired after doing a sleepover duty.

Brett Chappell, defending, said: “My client had worked at the home for five years and was properly qualified had been held in high esteem.

“Forrest apologises unreservedly and there are no excuses for what she did .

“When she struggled to get the patient to eat she snapped and lost her temper.”

“She massively let this man down.”

Forrest was ordered to do 150 unpaid work and pay the victim £200 compensation and £345 court costs.

• A joyrider accused of deliberately driving a car he had taken at another man breaking his leg has made his first appearance at court.

Tony Roberts, a 33-year-old scaffolder, of Hodder Avenue, Fleetwood, is charged with maliciously wounding Jamie Abraham with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm.

The offence is alleged to have take place outside The Docker’s Club, Fleetwood, on October 4 this year.

Roberts is also accused of assaulting a man causing him actual bodily harm in the same incident.

He is further alleged to have taken a Vauxhall Corsa without consent, damaged the car and driven it dangerously on the port’s Station Road without insurance and not in accordance with his licence.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, asked for the case to be heard at crown court and for the defendant to be remanded in custody. Defence lawyer, Gerry Coyle, did not ask for bail for his client.

Roberts was remanded in custody to appear at Preston Crown Court on November 11 by District Judge Jeff Brailsford sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

• A drunken driver smashed into the back of a retired woman’s car and then drove off from the accident scene.

Matthew Hadley, who was more than twice over the limit, was tracked down by police, through part of his Lexus car’s number plate, which was broken off by the force of the impact.

Hadley, a 27-year-old roofer, of Maple Avenue, Thornton, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol and failing to stop after an accident.

He was banned from driving for three years, fined £690 with £85 costs and ordered to pay a £150 court charge plus £34 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said a retired woman was driving a Nissan Micra on a roundabout in Amounderness Way, Fleetwood, on September 20 at 9.15am.

She was struck in the rear and her car sent spinning 180 degrees, leaving her stunned.

Hadley drove away, leaving part of his number plate.

Police than got a report of a Lexus being driven at speed round Fleetwood. olice inquiries revealed that the number plate was probably for a car registered to Hadley.

An officer went to his address and saw him pull up outside his home.

A breath test showed 80 microgrammes of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

He had a previous drink-driving conviction from 2013.

When interviewed Hadley said he could not remember driving because of the alcohol he had drunk, but he though it possible he was going for a McDonald’s.

Howard Green, defending, said Hadley had been drinking the previously evening and slept at a friend’s before driving.

He had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity and co-operated with the police.

• A husband and wife were injured when a van driver smashed into their Motability car at Cleveleys.

Iain McKerracher told police he became distracted by a tram which he thought was going so fast it would not be able to stop.

McKerracher, 36, of High Street, Bangor, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention.

He was fined £165 with £85 costs, ordered to pay a £150 court charge plus £20 victims’ surcharge and had five motoring penalty points put on his driving licence by Blackpool magistrates.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said a couple were crossing the junction at traffic lights on Rossall Lane in their car on March 26 at 1pm.

A van and a tram were approaching from the south and the van then turned into the path of the couple’s car.

The couple both had soft tissue injuries.

The husband stated his wife was now anxious about travelling and they had difficulties replacing their Motability vehicle.

McKerracher, who had no previous convictions, told magistrates that he was unfamiliar with the area.

He said: “I could see a tram coming very fast and was concerned it was not going to stop. It took my attention away from everything else.”

• A man punched a security guard at Fleetwood’s Cala Gran holiday park.

Kevin Vickers, 28, of Northumberland Avenue, North Shore, Blackpool, had a plea of guilty to an offence of assault entered on his behalf by defence lawyer Gerry Coyle.

Vickers was bailed for pre-sentence reports by Blackpool magistrates and must not enter the holiday park as a condition of his bail.

• A Merchant Navy officer who agreed to drive as a favour to a friend was over the alcohol level when he eventually stopped for police.

Manpreet Singh was spotted driving hesitantly round the port of Fleetwood and when signalled to stop he braked and set off again five times.

Singh, 27, of Lauderdale Avenue, Cleveleys, pleaded guilty to drink-driving and having no insurance.

He was disqualified from driving for 16 months, fined £160 with £85 costs and ordered to pay a £150 court charge plus £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, said police saw Singh driving a Ford Fiesta hesitantly round the West View roundabout on September 24 at 12.25am.

Singh then turned without indicating and his brake lights kept going on and off. He was signalled to stop, but kept pulling in and starting off again.

A breath test showed 59 microgrammes of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit,

Howard Green, defending, said his client, a second officer in the Merchant Navy, was in the area taking a course to become a chief mate, the 
second in charge to a ship’s captain.

Singh had been in Fleetwood and had some drinks with friends.

When it came time to go home his friend was unwell, so Singh offered to drive them home.