Four years’ jail for knifepoint mugger

Paul Cuthbert
Paul Cuthbert
Have your say

A thug has been jailed for more than four years for a catalogue of offences, including a knifepoint robbery on the street.

Paul Cuthbert approached a man making his way home from work and threatened: “Give me all your money or I’ll stab you”.

He had hold of a small knife, after approaching his victim in the Lytham Road area.

Cuthbert ended up walking off with around five pounds in change and the man’s mobile phone. Police were able to identify him through CCTV.

About a week after that crime he tried to rob another male in the same area.

The 42-year-old defendant of St Annes Road, Blackpool, was given a sentence of 50 months by a judge at Preston Crown Court, which works out at four years and two months’ jail.

He had pleaded guilty to offences of robbery, possessing a knife, attempted robbery, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, damage, theft and handling.

David Traynor, prosecuting, said the robbery victim had been walking home from work and was on Bloomfield Road, Blackpool on the night of August 27, last year. He was chatting on his mobile phone to his girlfriend and passed two males who were shouting and swearing in the street.

The man turned on to Lytham Road and noticed somebody walking behind him, who said “alright mate”.

Cuthbert went on to say “see that” and was holding a small knife with a three-inch blade. He then moved in front, blocking the man’s way.

Mr Traynor said: “He raised the knife higher and pointed it at him. He was about a foot away from him at that stage.”

He told the victim: “Give me all your money or I’ll stab you.” About five pounds in change was handed over.

He went on to demand his phone and the man had to hang up on his girlfriend, to hand over the iPhone.

Then on September 4, Cuthbert tried to rob a man, again in the Lytham Road area.

The man had stopped to use an ATM machine and was putting his money away when he felt a hand grab at his wallet and also a push on his arm.

The defendant went on to tell him: “You know what I’m after. If I don’t get it, I’ll stick you one.” The man thought that was a threat to stab him.

He managed to push Cuthbert away. The other offences were carried out between June and September of last year. He had 156 previous convictions to his name.

Richard Archer, defending, said that by pleading guilty, Cuthbert had spared the victims from having to go to court to give evidence.

He said: “For over 20 years he has been addicted to heroin and more recently, he has become alcohol dependent.

“During his time in prison he has managed to rid himself of that.

“He thought the best way was to go ‘cold turkey’ and he has done it. He accepts that for him at the moment, custody is very much the best place for him.”