Fleetwood: From the courts 25-05-16

A woman was abusive to paramedics and police who tried to help her after she collapsed in the street.

Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 2:00 pm
Updated Wednesday, 25th May 2016, 4:28 pm
Blackpool Magistrates Court

Annette Speariett, 50, of Ingledene Caravan Site, Thornton, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly

She was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police were called to Dickson Road, Blackpool, on April 29 at 3pm where Speariett had collapsed.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She was arrested after she failed to stop swearing at people trying to aid her.

Ashley Fisher, defending, said Speariette had had a drink problem which she had fought.

She had not drunk for a considerable time but in April she relapsed and drank some vodka because of family problems.

She felt she had collapsed because of her heart condition and epilepsy.

Paramedics had to use a defibrillator to bring her round.

• One of the North West’s most prolific shoplifters went for quality when he set out to steal in Cleveleys.

Peter Sokolowski, who has 226 previous offences to his name, was spotting taking a bottle of bubbly.

Sokolowski, unemployed, 45, of Linden Place, Bispham, pleaded guilty to theft of Moët champagne valued at £39.99.

He was fined £40 with £30 victims’ surcharge and ordered to pay £39.99 compensation by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said the manager of the One Stop Shop, East Pines Drive, Cleveleys, was alerted a man was acting suspiciously in the store, on April 20 at 11am.

He checked the CCTV which showed Sokolowski hiding the champagne in his jacket and walking out.

When questioned by police Sokolowski said he had intended to sell the bubbly for money for drugs.

Steven Townley, defending, said his client went voluntarily for an interview with police and had admitted the offence at the first opportunity.

• A father telephoned police about his son because he was worried about him.

Anthony Alcock was then found in his home road with an eight-inch kitchen knife on him and drugs.

Alcock, a 36-year-old father-of-three, of Leven Avenue, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to possession of a blade in public and having cannabis.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a six weeks curfew from 8pm to 6am and ordered to pay £85 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police received information a man was in Leven Avenue with a knife on May 2 at 7.10pm.

The knife was found in Alcock’s jacket sleeve and he also had a small amount of cannabis on him.

When interviewed Alcock said he had drunk eight to nine cans of lager that afternoon and added that he had used cannabis regularly for a number of years.

Gerry Coyle, defending, said Alcock’s father had called the police to intervene.

Alcock had not brandished the knife or struggled with police.

Alcock had been set upon and beaten up by two men that day and later made the rash decision to take the knife with him.

• A man was arrested after pointing his finger at a police officer’s face and swearing at him.

Robert Pavlov, 36, of Ingledene Caravan Park, Thornton, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £50 costs with £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said Pavlov tried to interfere with an officer dealing with an incident in Dickson Road, Blackpool, on April 29.

Robert Castle, defending, said Pavlov’s woman friend had collapsed and he was trying to help her.

The police officer wanted him to leave but he insisted on staying.

• A teenager accused of stealing property valued together at almost £150 from three shops at Fleetwood has had the first mention of his case at court.

Charlie Fawcett, 18, of Homestead Way, Fleetwood, who is also charged with causing £100 worth of damage to a window at the port, was not present at the hearing and had his case adjourned by Blackpool magistrates.

• A woman accused of stealing £15 worth of toiletries from Fleetwood’s Gee Tee Stores was too ill to attend court.

Donna Chorlton, 47, of Leven Avenue, Fleetwood, had her case adjourned by Blackpool magistrates.

• A drunk clenched his fists and invited a man passing by to fight at Fleetwood.

James Whitmore, 42, of North Church Street, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £40 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said police got a report a man was throwing items at cars on April 30 about 5pm.

An officer found Whitmore lying on the pavement and gave him a lift home, advising him to sober up.

As the officer waited he saw Whitmore come out of his home and invite a man to fight.

He then raised his fists and approached the officer.

Steven Townley, defending, said his client had drink and mental health problems and he had been diagnosed as having mild schizophrenia.

• A council worker was desribed as losing the plot when he attacked his girlfriend and another man believing something romantic was going on between them.

Jealous Darren Morris punched and tried to stamp on the other man and repeatedly hit his girlfriend before trying to bite her nose.

He also hurled a tin of paint in his girlfriend’s Fleetwood home which burst open covering her and causing £300 worth of damage to carpets and wallpaper.

Morris, 36, of Eden Avenue, Fleetwood, pleaded guilty to two offences of assault and one offence of damage.

He was sentenced to 16 weeks imprisonment suspended for 12 months with up to 20 days rehabilitation, put on an eight weeks curfew from 10pm to 7am, ordered to pay compensation of £400 to his girlfriend and £200 to the man plus £85 costs with £115 victims’ surcharge.

Morris was also put on on a 12 months restraining order which bans him from contacting his girlfriend by District Judge Jeff Brailsford sitting at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said the couple had been together 15 years and had three children. They had split-up but then agreed to give their relationship another try. They went out together, but did not live together.

On May 14 at 10.25am Morris arrived at his girlfriend’s home. Another man, who had brought a phone to the girlfriend, was there.

Morris fought him in the garden, tripped him up, tried to stamp on him, pushed his motorbike over and chased him as he ran to his father’s home.

The man did not fight back.

Morris called his wife a “slag” and threatened to kill her.

He pushed her over, knelt on her chest, punched her, attempted to bite her nose and threw the paint can.

Gary McAnulty, defending, said the night before Morris saw his girlfriend and the other man texting on their phones at a nightspot. #

He thought something was going on between and took her bag which contained her mobile, so he could check the phone.

The next morning he “lost the plot” when he went round to his girlfriend’s home and saw the other man there.

Morris denied trying to stamp on the man and said he only pushed his girlfriend away when she tried to intervene.

• A man accused of assaulting a taxi driver and failing to pay the cab fare has appeared at court.

Matthew Scott, 28, of Milton Street, Fleetwood, pleaded not guilty to assault and fraud.

He did not ask for bail and was remanded in custody to June 28 for trial by Blackpool magistrates.

• A businessman has made his first appearance at court accused of having cocaine with a street value of £70,000 at Knott End.

David Munroe, 24, of Douglas Avenue, Stalmine, who owns a sun-bed shop and trades in cars, is charged with possessing 352 grams of cocaine with intent to supply the drug.

He also faces a charge of possessing 28 grams of cannabis.

The offences are alleged to have taken place on December 30 last year at Knott End.

Prosecutor, Malcolm Isherwood, opposed bail for Munroe.

Defence lawyer, Steven Townley, said his client had indicated he would plead not guilty to the offences.

Munroe was refused bail and remanded in custody to appear at Preston Crown Court on June 22 by Blackpool magistrates.