Families flee in bomb scare drama

editorial image
Have your say

A BOMB scare saw families flee their homes and spend most of the night in a nearby sports centre.

Bomb disposal teams evacuated a block of flats and set up a 100-metre cordon after police found suspicious items during a search of a house on Beach Road, Cleveleys.

Families were forced to take refuge in Thornton Sports Centre as the drama unfolded at 9pm last night.

The evacuation was sparked after police searched the homes of two men arrested earlier yesterday.

They were held on suspicion of damaging property.

When police searched their homes, they found ‘items’ which led to bomb squad officers being called to two homes, one in Beach Road and the other in Whinfield Avenue, Fleetwood.

The block of flats in Cleveleys was evacuated but residents in Whinfield Avenue were allowed to stay in their homes.

Peter Richards, owner of the Beachview Hotel on Beach Road, said a guest had seen police officers smash their way into the block of flats on the road.

He said: “A guest staying here said he saw four police cars at the building and saw police smashing the doors or windows or something to get in. Later on the officers were going in with little evidence bags.”

Mr Richards said later on in the evening there was one police car stationed outside the building.

A worker at Thornton Sports Centre, Tasmin Dwyer, wrote on Twitter: “Bomb scare in Cleveleys. So they all evacuate and come to Thornton Sports Centre (my work)”

A Lancashire Police spokesman said: “Police officers arrested a 49-year-old man and a 48-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to damage property.

“We searched a property and found items that gave us cause for concern.

“The bomb disposal unit was called who asked that the block of flats was evacuated.

“Residents in the nine flats in the block were taken to Thornton Sports Centre on Victoria Road East while the investigation was carried out.

“It continued until 3am when the bomb disposal teams were stood down and residents were allowed to return to their homes.”

It remains unclear what was found in either of the houses.

Police are investigating. Both men were today in custody and will be quizzed by detectives.


Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.