Face bitten in car horror

Preston Crown Court
Preston Crown Court
Have your say

A woman who bit the face of a motorist and robbed her while high on a lethal combination of drink and drugs has been jailed for two years.

Preston Crown Court heard Jemma Tatton (pictured) could remember little of what happened early one morning in Poulton, having consumed vodka, cider, cocaine and ecstasy.

Jemma Tatton sentenced to two years

Jemma Tatton sentenced to two years

She flagged down a 21-year-old woman driving home along Highcross Road and managed to get in her car, after telling her she needed to be taken to Blackpool’s Grange Park estate in Blackpool.

The woman declined, only to then be attacked by Tatton, the court heard.

During a struggle some pressure appeared to have been placed on the victim’s neck and she was bitten on the face, or an attempt was made to do so, the court heard.

Prosecutors said Tatton then snatched her handbag, leaving the victim hysterical and in a state of shock.

As a result of her ordeal, the court heard the victim wakes up at 5.10am every morning – the time the crime was carried out – and now did not like anyone sitting behind her in the car.

She also suffers severe anxiety.

Tatton, 22, of Enfield Road, Blackpool, had pleaded guilty to robbery and having a bladed article, a black handled kitchen knife that was in her bag though ever produced.

Prosecutors said the victim was driving home alone on the morning of April 22 when she spotted the defendant stood in the road.

She tried to avoid Tatton, who moved to the side.

The woman stopped and took her keys out of the ignition, suspecting something might be “dodgy”.

Tatton told her: “You need to take me to Grange Park,” but the woman declined.

The defendant then got into the back of the car behind her.

The victim told her to get out, but Tatton then pulled on the hood of her coat, climbed over her and bit her head. She also stole her handbag.

The defendant was found nearby by police.

She was said to be shouting obscenities at an officer and was struggling.

Michael Maher, defending, said Tatton had moved to Blackpool looking for greener pastures but, drink had blighted her life again.

She had taken a lethal cocktail of cider, vodka, cocaine and ecstasy at the time.

“It is little wonder she remembers little of what happened”, he said.

Sentencing Tatton to two years behind bars judge, Recorder Brian Cummings QC, said: “The victim was plainly very very distressed by what had occurred.”

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.