Ex-soldier punched wife in the face

Common Edge Road, near the scene of the incident.
Common Edge Road, near the scene of the incident.
Have your say

A former soldier suffering the effects of his time in the Army broke his wife’s jaw and knocked her unconscious by throwing a single punch at her in the street.

Michael Phillips hit her with full force, knocking her out for several minutes.

Moments earlier stunned witnesses saw his wife screaming: “Help, he’s trying to kill me.”

After punching his wife, Phillips then lunged at passers-by who tried to help, Preston Crown Court was told.

The 28-year-old, of Martindale Avenue, Fleetwood, had pleaded guilty to a charge of inflicting grievous bodily harm.

It happened in the Common Edge Road area of South Shore, near the cricket club, the court was told.

Joseph Allman, prosecuting, said it was the early hours of June 14 when a man was cycling along and a woman ran out in front of him screaming “Help. He’s trying to kill me”.

She asked the man to call the police.

Phillips then lunged at her, but the witness intervened.

She went on to again ask him for help.

The defendant went on to lunge at him.

The man had to use his bicycle to defend himself by swinging it towards Phillips.

Mr Allman said the witness tried to flag down a number of cars while all that was taking place, but they just drove past.

Eventually a father and son stopped and got out.

Phillips was heard to say to his wife: “I’m going to kill you”.

She ran, but her husband chased and caught up with her in the middle of the road.

He then punched her with full force to the face.

“She fell on her back, knocked out from the blow and was unconscious for minutes”, said Mr Allman.

The defendant then turned on the father and lunged towards him. That man ended up grappling with him.

As her husband went on to be arrested the injured woman shouted “I love you”.

She later refused to assist police or give a statement.

She was taken to Blackpool Victoria and had surgery to fix a fracture to her lower jaw.

Paul Robinson, defending, said it had been a distressing incident, not only for the woman, but for witnesses who had tried to help her.

“There had been a drink fuelled night of madness.

“The defendant has not had a drink since. He has viewed what happened very much as a wake up call in a number of regards.

“He is an ex serviceman in the army, suffering from the effects of that service and has sought help in addressing those problems”.

Contact had been made with the Combat Stress organisation and he had an appointment with them for January.

Judge Graham Knowles QC adjourned sentencing to check the defendant’s previous convictions. Phillips will return to court today and has been remanded on bail until then.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.