Ex-nurse hit out at medics after booze binge

Blackpool Victoria Hospital
Blackpool Victoria Hospital
Have your say

A former trainee nurse behaved so appallingly towards medics that the ambulance she was in had to be given a blue light police escort to hospital.

Natasha Evans, who had volunteered for St John Ambulance for eight years, punched a paramedic in the head and damaged the ambulance after drinking 12 pints and six shots.

Her horrendous behaviour continued in Blackpool Victoria Hospital’s casualty department and when a woman whose father was dying in the next room complained, Evans swore at her.

The ambulance needed repairing and cleaning and was off the road with the crew for four hours afterwards.

Evans, a 22-year-old customer services agent, of Cross Street, St Annes, pleaded guilty to assaulting Joanne Edmondson and damaging the ambulance.

She was sentenced to do 80 hours’ unpaid work for the community and pay compensation of £50 to her victim and £338 for the repair and loss of the ambulance by District Judge Margaret McCormack sitting at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court.

The judge said: “An ambulance had to be taken off the road when it could have been out helping others and the incident continued at the hospital causing people a lot of upset.”

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said that onFebruary 23 , at about 1am, the ambulance crew was called to Evans, who was lying outside The Links pub, St Annes.

Once inside the ambulance the crew tried twice to take Evans’s blood pressure, but she lashed out violently and started punching and kicking the ambulance.

Evans then hit the paramedic to the side of her face on the temple.

The prosecutor said: “The police were called and because of the defendant’s behaviour decided to give the ambulance a blue light escort to hospital.

“At the accident and emergency unit her behaviour continued. A woman whose father was dying in the next room asked for her to be removed and Evans swore at her.”

At 3.10am Evans was taken to Blackpool police station.

She said she had started drinking at 6am after work and had drunk 12 pints and six shots.

She said she remembered going into the pub toilets and nothing else.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.