Death sparks drugs probe

Blackpool Victoria Hospital
Blackpool Victoria Hospital
Have your say

A POLICE drugs probe has been launched after a man died and two were taken to hospital after a night out in Blackpool.

Officers today revealed they believed cocaine use had been a factor in the men falling ill on Tuesday morning.

Promising amateur footballer Ryan McDonough, 22, from Croxteth in Liverpool, was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but was later pronounced dead.

His friend, aged 24, who has not yet been named, is said to be in a stable condition.

A third man, aged 22, also from Croxteth, was arrested on suspicion of possessing class A drugs after being released from hospital yesterday.

It is understood the group were staying at Marton Mere Caravan Park on a week-long trip to celebrate a friend’s birthday when the terrible incident took place.

Hours before his tragic death, Ryan posted on Twitter how he was in the middle of a big night out with a group of people for a friend’s birthday.

He said: “Bevvies r flowin 4 @CraigKirlew’s bday! Can see this bein somethn like the hangover!! Haha #messytimes.”

Social networking sites have been updated with tributes from stunned friends.

Sharnleigh White wrote on Twitter: “You would do anything for anyone.”

A Lancashire Police spokesman said officers were called to the scene after reports the three men had to be treated by paramedics.

He added: “Police were called at shortly before 8am Tuesday morning to a report three men had been taken by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.

“A 22-year-old man was pronounced dead at the hospital and a 24-year-old man is currently in a stable condition.

“The death is currently being treated as unexplained.

“The third male, aged 22, from Liverpool, is currently has been arrested on suspicion of possessing Class A drugs.

“He was returned to hospital for checks but is now back in custody.

“Although the death is unexplained it is believed at this stage it may be drugs related.

“Inquiries are on-going but it would appear that the three men from Merseyside have come to Blackpool for a short stay.”

The man who was arrested has since been released on police bail until July 4 while further inquiries are carried out.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.