Convicted sex offender broke order by having contact with teenagers

Anthony Goad poster.
Anthony Goad poster.
Have your say

A convicted sex offender who was driven out of Morecambe by a poster campaign has admitted breaching a court order designed to keep him away from his targets.

Anthony Goad, 45, was jailed in 2001 for sex attacks on girls in his home town of Morecambe.

Goad – also known as Dowker – was made the subject of a lifetime Sexual Offender Prevention Order (SOPO) as a result of his convictions.

Now Goad, of Dinmore Avenue, Blackpool, has admitted breaching the order on two occasions.

Pam Smith, prosecuting, told magistrates that Goad was not allowed to have contact with any male or female under the age of 18 under the terms of the order.

However he came into contact with two 17-year-olds courtesy of his 21-year-old current girlfriend, the court heard.

He attended a family karaoke party and took pictures of the 17-year-old girl before sending them to her via Facebook.

He then had contact with her brother.

The prosecutor said: “He is a controlling and dominant man who preys in particular on young females.”

Brett Chappell, defending, said both the people contacted by Goad were almost 18, and he met them courtesy of his own girlfriend.

“Sending the picture on Facebook has no sinister connotations,” said the lawyer.

Magistrates sent Goad for sentence at Preston Crown Court.

Objecting to bail for Goad pending his appearance at the higher court, the prosecutor that said police had discovered Goad was planning to move abroad and was to get a one-way ticket to Malta.

Examination of his mobile phone showed he had also made contact with a woman in the Phillipines.

Mr Chappell denied that his client had any plans to travel abroad and was happy to surrender his passport to the court.

Goad was refused bail and will appear at Crown Court on Wednesday, October 14 for sentencing.

In 2011, Goad had to be re-housed for his own safety after A4 posters about his jail term were sent out to homes, schools and businesses in his neighbourhood in Morecambe.

The leaflets, several of which were sent anonymously to newspapers, included a colour photograph of Goad and his full address, together with details of his crimes.

Goad contacted police with concerns over his personal safety after receiving one of the leaflets at his home.

Shortly afterwards he was rehoused and now lives in Blackpool.