Former Blackpool footballer Clarke Carlisle has been banned for three years and ordered to do 150 hours’ unpaid community work after being found guilty of drink-driving.
Carlisle, who made close to 100 appearances for the Seasiders between 1997 and 2000, nearly crashed into a delivery lorry on December 20, just two days before he jumped into the path of a 12-ton truck on the A64 near York, Highbury Magistrates’ Court in north London was told.
District judge Susan Williams told Carlisle that, although he had made a “positive contribution” in the world of others in football, she had to sentence him for the risk he had created in driving “erratically”.
She told Carlisle that “if you are not in control of your vehicle in a road in central London you represent a danger to people”.
Carlisle was ordered to do 150 hours of unpaid work within the next 12 months, his licence was endorsed and he was given a three-year ban. He was also ordered to pay a £60 surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.
The former Professional Footballers’ Association chairman admitted failing to provide a sample.
Carlisle has also previously pleaded guilty to a charge of driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence on the same date, when police officers spotted him driving a Mercedes in an ‘’erratic’’ manner, the court heard.