Burglar is collared after high-speed police chase

Crime News
Crime News
Have your say

A thief broke into a Blackpool home before stealing a car and leading police on a high-speed chase.

The stolen BMW car was spotted on Preston New Road, heading towards the M55, three hours after the raid. A police helicopter was used at one stage as the car headed onto the M6 and M61.

Thomas Devine has been jailed for two years and nine months.

Thomas Devine has been jailed for two years and nine months.

But Thomas Devine was finally arrested when a wheel flew off the car during the chase.

The 27-year-old, of Adelaide Street, Blackpool, has now been jailed for two years and nine months. He pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to offences of burglary, aggravated vehicle taking, driving without a licence and not having insurance. His court appearance followed a burglary at a home on Roseacre, Blackpool, on August 11 where property including an iPod touch, sat nav system, and watch were taken.

Anthony Stanway, prosecuting, said a man living at the address heard a noise at 3am. He went down to investigate and realised that the keys to his vehicle had gone, along with other items.

About three hours later the vehicle was seen on Preston New Road, heading towards the M55.

The force helicopter was brought in at one stage as the vehicle headed towards the M61, on to the M6. The car was relocated on a garage forecourt. Devine realised the police were in the area and set off at speed, at one point hitting a marked police vehicle.

After that he drove across recreational grounds, travelled at 90mph in a 30 zone and went the wrong way on a roundabout on Walkden Road, Salford. He was finally forced to abandon the car when the front wheel came off. He was arrested and a Tag watch was recovered from him.

The car had been worth £9,000, but an insurance company would only pay out £7,500.

Margaret McCormack, defending, said after being released from custody earlier this year Devine had moved to Blackpool. He had owed debts and effectively fled here.

She said: “The people with whom he lived were also users and he lapsed back into his drug habit. That is something he wants to conquer.

The judge, Recorder, William Waldron QC, told Devine: it was “more a matter of good fortune than good driving that nobody was seriously injured.”

He was also banned from driving for two years.

Follow us on twitter @The_Gazette and like our page on facebook to keep up with all the latest news.