Blackpool man claimed dead dad's pension

Crown Court
Crown Court
Share this article

A bereaved former restaurant director who carried on claiming benefits and allowances - including a state pension - after his father's death has avoided an immediate jail term.

Preston Crown Court heard how Koiruddin Ali, 38, of Dickson Road, Blackpool, failed to tell the authorities when his father, Ishred Ali, died on November 11, 2015.

The son took his dad back to his native Bangladesh by a request made on his deathbed.

He claims their family were unhappy and told him if he did take his father to Bangladesh, he could go to prison for five years.

Ali, who was formerly involved with the Maharaja Indian Restaurant on Dickson Road, carried on lying to the authorities for two years and illegally pocketed almost £30,000 in state cash.

He said when he returned to the UK he was afraid to tell them his father had died because of what the family had said would happen to him, the court heard.

Ali, 28, of Dickson Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to failing to notify a change in circumstances to the Department for Work and Pensions when claiming carer’s allowance and income support between November 12, 2015 and October 24 this year.

He also admitted stealing £19,173 in his father's attendance allowance - a tax-free benefit paid to people over 65 who need help to look after themselves because of physical or mental disability.

At an earlier hearing, Judge Graham Knowles said: " The facts appear to be the defendant's father was a man who during his life was ill, disabled or both.

"The defendant received carer's allowance and income support on basis he was the carer for his father and him continuing to accept those benefits after his death.

"The deceased father's benefits were paid into a post office card account. The defendant was in possession of the bank card relating to that account and afterwards he continued to withdraw his father's benefits.

"The defendant wholly accepts what he did was dishonest and criminal."

The court was told Ali had previous convictions and had served two jail terms before.

He was given six months suspended for two years and 150 hours of unpaid work.

He will face a Proceeds of Crime Act hearing on June 29.