Blackpool: From the courts 19-03-18

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court
Share this article

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Friday's round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 16-03-18

Paul McCann, 39, assault

Embarrassing messages posted on Facebook led to a man attacking his girlfriend.

Paul McCann kicked and slapped her in the bedroom then followed her to her workplace at a shop and pushed her in an attempt to get her phone and delete the messages.

McCann, a 39-year-old electrician, of Wilvere Drive, Norbreck, pleaded guilty to assault.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £20 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Martine Connah, said the couple argued in the bedroom on February 5.

McCann kicked his partner on the leg and slapped her across the head saying he would knock her out if she continued to be cheeky.

The prosecutor said McCann’s partner posted messages on social media that he had sent to other women.

The defendant went to the shop where his partner worked and twice pushed her against displays.

Martin Hillson, defending, said McCann, who had no previous convictions, was embarrassed, angry and frustrated when he realised his partner had posted messages on her Facebook page that he had sent and which could be seen by family and friends.

McCann’s partner had not suffered any injuries and had withdrawn her complaint to the police about the defendant.

She was in court to support McCann and their relationship was likely to continue.

Rebecca Harnett, 22, drunk and disorderly and being in breach of a conditional discharge

A woman was spotted walking down the centre of a main road in the resort at midnight carrying a bottle of wine.

Rebecca Harnett was reported to police by a motorist who followed her along the road with his hazard lights on to stop another vehicle hitting her.

Harnett, 22, of Dinmore Avenue, Grange Park, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly and being in breach of a conditional discharge for two offences of being drunk and disorderly.

She was sentenced to remain in the court until 4.30pm and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a motorist alerted police after seeing Harnett walking down the middle of Whitegate Drive carrying a wine bottle on February 22 at midnight.

Harnett refused to let officers give her a lift home but agreed to take a cab.

She then left the taxi office and was found crouched down urinating.

She agreed to get in a taxi but half-a-mile down the road asked to be let out.

She was in no condition to be left in the street so she was arrested.

Harnett told magistrates: “I remember little bits of it.

“I don’t want to speak about it because it’s embarrassing.

Ikhlag Ahmed, 41, theft

A thief concealed clothes he had stolen inside jeans he was wearing and ran from a shop.

Ikhlag Ahmed, 41, of Westmorland Avenue, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to theft.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs with £20 victims’ surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Ahmed was seen acting suspiciously in the resort’s Sports Direct store on February 6.

As he went through the exit the alarm sounded.

He fled but was chased and caught and found to have two pairs of jeans and a jacket valued together at £185 concealed in jeans he was wearing.

He had a record of 22 previous offences of theft and similar matters.

Mitch Sarangi, defending, said Ahmed had recently moved to Blackpool and made a claim for Universal Credit benefits.

Mr Sarangi said: “There was a significant gap between the first payment of benefits to him.

“He was accumulating debts on his accommodation and simply had no money.”

Joshua Mahood, failing to comply with court order

An anxious man failed to do a sufficient amount of unpaid work at a charity shop which had been organised for him to complete by his probation officer.

Joshua Mahood, 23, of Lightburne Avenue, St Annes, pleaded guilty to failing to comply with a court order.

He was sentenced to six weeks jail suspended for 12 months and put on a 28 days curfew from 8pm to 6am.

Jonathan Owen, 27, drunk and disorderly

A visitor offered to fight people in Blackpool after going out drinking with members of a rugby team.

Jonathan Owen, 27, of Duke Street, Salford, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was fined £115 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £30 victims’ surcharge.

Owen told magistrates: “I was out with the lads from a rugby team. I was out a long time.”