Blackpool: From the courts 17-01-18

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Monday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 15-01-18

William Johnson, 48, breach of non-molestation order

A solicitor’s estranged husband threatened to end her legal career after their marriage soured.

Medical sales executive, William Johnson, repeatedly asked wife, Karen, for her solicitor’s roll number saying he wanted to make a complaint about her.

He also bombarded her with nasty calls, texts and messages, made contact with her boss and spoke to the receptionist at her workplace.

Johnson, 48, of Gorton Street, North Shore, pleaded guilty to breach a non-molestation order which banned him from contacting his wife.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 25 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £80 with £50 costs and ordered to pay his wife £100 compensation.

Magistrates also put him on a one year restraining order which prohibits him from communicating with his wife except through solicitors or the family court concerning access to his children.

Kerry Grieve, prosecuting, said after the couple split-up Johnson’s wife was granted a court order which banned her husband from contacting her.

Between December 30 last year and January 11 this year Johnson “bombarded” his wife with calls texts and messages.

On New Year’s Eve Johnson called her demanding her solicitor’s roll number and saying he was going to make trouble for her at work but if she unblocked his number on her phone he would not do that.

He spoke to her work receptionist saying if his wife did not call back in 30 seconds he would end her career.

Among almost 40 messages he left on her phone one angrily demanded money for a train fare so he could see his children and another accused her of being in a relationship with another man.

Brett Chappell, defending, said Johnson now realised his relationship with his wife was over and he was getting help from alcohol rehabilitation experts.

Sammy Gill, 27, rape

A man has made his first appearance at court charged with rape.

Sammy Gill, 27, of Branstree Road, Mereside, was sent for trial at Preston Crown Court on February 14.

Gill was bailed on condition he goes not contact his alleged victim.

Boy, 17, assault

A teenager ran across a road and punched another teenager on the cheek.

The victim was then kicked in the chest by another young male, brought to the ground and kicked by a group of youngsters.

The defendant, a 17-year-old boy from North Shore, who can not be identified for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to assault.

He also admitted two offences of failing to answer bail and attend court and breaching a youth rehabilitation order.

He was bailed to Blackpool Youth Court for sentence by District Judge Jeff Brailsford.

Prosecutor, Jim Mowbray, said the victim was on Ash Street, South Shore, on August 15 at 11pm, when a group of young males including the defendant shouted at him: “What are you staring at?”

The defendant then ran across the road and threw punches at the victim catching him on the cheek, before he was downed and booted by other young males.

Angus Smith, 36, assault

A man accused of assaulting his former girlfriend and her parents has made his first appearance at court.

Angus Smith, 36, of Devonshire Square Mews, Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, pleaded not guilty to three offences of assault.

He also denied damaging a baby gate belonging to his ex.

The offences are alleged to have taken place on January 13 at Blackpool.

Smith was bailed to April 20 for trial by District Judge Brailsford.

He must live at an address in Sandy Lane, Hambleton and not contact complainants or go within 100 metres of Devonshire Square Mews as conditions of his bail.

Anthony Scott, 29, stalking

A man accused of stalking a former girlfriend he had a short relationship with has made his first appearance at court.

Anthony Scott, 29, of Clifton Avenue, Warton, pleaded not guilty to stalking the woman by phoning, messaging , making malicious threats and visiting her excessively despite her asking him to stop.

The offence is alleged to have taken place between January 1 last year and January 13 this year.

Scott was bailed to April 25 for trial by District Judge Brailsford.

He must not contact the complainant or enter Naze Lane, Freckleton, as conditions of his bail.