Blackpool: From the courts 15-12-17

Court news
Court news
Share this article

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Thursday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 14-12-17

Ryan Angus, 29, drink-driving

A witness said it was a “miracle no-one was killed” when a drink-driver rampaged down a Blackpool street at lunchtime.

Ryan Angus careered along the pavement narrowly missing terraced houses on Lyncroft Crescent, Layton, before smashing into a road sign.

Angus, who was almost three times over the limit, then called the witness, who had called police, “a grass” before staggering towards him with his arms out.

Angus, a 29-year-old delivery driver, of Ellersley Drive, Salford, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was sentenced to a six months community order with up to 10 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, put on a 28 days curfew from 9pm to 7am, banned from the road for 25 months and ordered to pay £50 compensation.

Presiding magistrate, Philip Smith, told him: “Driving a car with that amount of alcohol in you could have been calamitous.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said on November 19 at 1.30pm a man on Lyncroft Crescent heard a horn beeping and saw Angus, who was dressed in black shorts, get into a Renault Megane.

Angus revved the car which took off with its wheels spinning, before it mounted the pavement, narrowly avoided hitting the terraced houses and then crashed into a road sign.

A breath test showed 98 micrograms of alcohol in his body - 35 is the limit.
The witness described himself as “shocked and disgusted” saying children often played in that area and it was a miracle no-one was killed.

Brooklyn Newton, 18, burglary

A hi-tech security system detected a burglar who had broken into a shed in Blackpool.

When teenager Brooklyn Newton went into the outhouse the owner was alerted by email that the CCTV camera there had detected motion.

Newton, an 18-year-old plasterer, of Egerton Road, North Shore, pleaded guilty to burglary.

He was sentenced to a 12 months community order with up to 20 days rehabilitation to be supervised by the probation service, fined £40 and ordered to pay £244 compensation by Blackpool magistrates.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a man was alerted by email on November 7 at 5.45pm, that the CCTV camera in his shed had sensed movement.

He went out to the shed to see panels of it had been torn up and a trainer was trapped in one of the panels.

An angle-grinder, planer and wallpaper stripper valued at £144 had been stolen and repairs to the shed and a fence cost the owner £788.

Rhys Camm, 24, possession of cannabis

A bricklayer who changed career after a serious motorbike crash and became a florist was found with cannabis in his bedroom.

Rhys Camm had smoked the drug to combat the pain he suffered from a severe shoulder injury he suffered in the crash.

Camm, 24, formerly of Whitegate Drive, Blackpool, now living at Raymond Avenue, North Shore, pleaded guilty to possession of class B drugs.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police received a tip-off and went to an address on Whitegate Drive on May 24, where Camm was then living,

Officers found three bags of cannabis in Camm’s bedroom. He said it was for his own use and he financed the purchase of the drugs through compensation he had received for an injury.

Jack Wilkinson, 22, drink-driving

A landscape gardener crashed a works van when he was more than twice the drink-drive limit.Jack Wilkinson, 22, of Knowsley Gardens, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to driving with excess alcohol.

He was disqualified from driving for 18 months, fined £120 with £40 costs and ordered to pay £30 costs.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said a witness on Hillylaid Road, Thornton, heard a bang and saw a Vauxhall Vivaro van had crashed into a road sign on November 25, just before midnight.

Wilkinson drove the van slowly away, then got out and walked away. Police had seen him leaning into the van and the keys to it were found in his pocket.

A breath test showed 80 micrograms of alcohol in his body – 35 is the limit.

Joseph Higginbottom, 35. drunk and disorderly

A drunk man called a woman police officer a “cocky cow” after she handcuffed him.

Joseph Higginbottom, 35, of Gloucester Avenue, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly.

He was given a 12 months conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs plus £20 victims’ surcharge.Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police got a call to got to Bar 19, Queen Street,on November 20 at 2.44am where a man was causing a disturbance.

Officers arrived to see Higginbottom being restrained by doorstaff. When a woman police officer asked him to calm down he swore at her.