Blackpool: From the courts 14-02-18

Blackpool magistrates court
Blackpool magistrates court

Here is the latest round-up of some of the cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court.

READ MORE: Monday’s round-up of cases at Blackpool Magistrates Court 12-02-18

Michelle Lea, 38, affray

A woman went on the rampage in a Blackpool hotel menacing people with a broken champagne glass.

Michelle Lea frightened guests in the bar and restaurant of The Ruskin Hotel and lunged at people including the hotel manager, ripping a hole in his shirt with the smashed glass.
Lea, 38, of Albert Road, Blackpool, pleaded guilty to affray.

As she was remanded in custody for sentence at Preston Crown Court on March 14 by District Judge Jeff Brailsford, she repeatedly screamed: “You cannot do this. I’m going to kill myself.”

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said the manager of The Ruskin Hotel and a security supervisor went to the Regency Bar in the premises on February 10 at 10.20pm, where Lea was holding a broken champagne glass.

Her wrist was bleeding. Lea then went into the restaurant and on being told to drop the glass at first held it to her throat.

Lea lunged at the security supervisor with the glass and then at the manager ripping his shirt.

The two men managed to disarm her and restrain her on the floor until the police arrived.

She was on a suspended prison sentence at the time of the offence.

Andrew Catlin, 72, indecent assault

A pensioner has made his first appearance at court to face historical sex attack allegations from almost 50 years ago.

Andrew Catlin, 72, of Jem Gate, Cleveleys, faces 23 offences of indecently assaulting a young girl.

The charges are said to involve two sisters when they were aged between five and 11.

The offences are alleged to have taken place between 1969 and 1973 at Blackpool.Catlin was given unconditional bail to appear at Preston Crown Court on March 14.

James Nichol, 40, driving while disqualified without a licence or insurance

A banned driver crashed into a lamppost because his windows were steamed up.

James Nichol decided to get behind the wheel five months into his ban because he operated a dog-walking business and he had to deliver some canines to their owners.

Nichol, 40, of Skelwith Road, Marton, pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified, without due care and attention and without insurance.

He was sentenced to eight weeks jail suspended for 12 months, banned from the road 14 months and ordered to pay £85 costs with £115 victim’s surcharge.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said police were called to the junction of Caunce Street and Collingwood Avenue, Blackpool, on November 22 at 7pm, where Nichol had mounted the payment in a Ford Mondeo and collided with a lamp post.

Nichol told an officer he had crashed because his windows were steamed up and admitted he was disqualified from driving.

He had been banned in June last year for 12 months for an offence of drink-driving.

Michael Leach, defending, said his client ran a dog walking business and had dogs in his care so he decided to drive and return them to their owners. He was on his way back home when the accident happened.

James Hutson, 27, criminal damage

A man telephoned police to say he was going to smash up a phone in a public booth.

James Hutson had only been released from prison the day before and had been drinking.

Hutson, 27, of Briarfield Road, Poulton, pleaded guilty to causing damage.

He was sentenced to ten weeks jail suspended for a year,ordered to do 100 hours unpaid work for the community and ordered to pay £50 compensation by District Judge Brailsford.

Prosecutor, Pam Smith, said Hutson called police on February 9, from a public phone booth in Lord Street, Fleetwood, saying he was going to break the phone. Officers went to the scene and found Hutson acting erratically. He was abusive and aggressive to police and members of the public.

The phone receiver had been smashed and wires pulled out.

When interviewed Hutson said he could remember nothing but when he was played the recording of the call he made to police he agreed it was his voice.

He was on licence from prison at the time of the offence.

Steven Townley, defending, said his client had kept out of trouble for three years until January this year.

Jody Stubbs, 32, causing actual bodily harm

A woman alleged to have hit a man over the head with a glass bottle has appeared at court.

Jody Stubbs, 32, of Irvine Close, Bispham, was sent for trial at Preston Crown Court on March 14.

Stubbs is charged with causing actual bodily harm in the incident in which her victim is said to have suffered multiple head lacerations. She was bailed to her home address.